Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM me with the details of you want.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2010 LR4 HSE in Galloway Green last week. I found a new set of 255/55R19 Atturo M/Ts for sale on eBay and just got them put on yesterday. Also waiting for some 5K DDM HIDs to get here. Loving it so far!

53f2db84fac4df9e40f3adc256288aee_zpshenmugz0.jpg

b910925b7dc26f58930461adbc4b8382_zps2wv06ydh.jpg

8225b45aab4dec6ee7debeb730601488_zpsonkornfe.jpg

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up today and my 3rd Land Rover, 2nd LR4 LUX. This barossa over ivory is a '13 CPO w/9870 on the odometer when I picked her up. Vision assist and cold pack running on factory 20's. Going to add a full length roof rack, but thinking of going w/the bright vs the black. My thought is it will even out the color of the rims and side vents. Top\middle\bottom.

Overall rare combo and my first non white vehicle since 2006 and 5-6 cars give or take.

d5a49fe41d1f42d85b1d1dcecd7a0bb9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Lesson Learned - Snow

When you view the instructional off road driving videos covering stream/water crossing they tell you to alway be sure of the depth of the water and what is underneath the water. I learned this past Thursday that this applies to snow as well. :stupid:

My wife and I were driving an easy/"green" road over Weston Pass in Colorado. It was in good shape. No issues. I didn't have any recovery gear. (It's a "green" after all.) Just over the top we encountered about 50 yrds of snow on the road. No problem. I'm going downhill. I've gone through snow many times. Here we go...

Oops. Deep snow. Soft snow. I'm high centered and stuck. Fortunately a couple of adventure cyclists came along and spent a couple of hours helping us dig out. (I bought them a very nice dinner that evening.)

So, once again I learned a lesson the hard way. And also thanked God for a wife that didn't go ballistic on me as she had every right to. Nothing at all. And, yep, she went out the next day with me to explore other areas. (She probably figured I was a lot smarter than 24 hours earlier!)

BTW, the scissor jack bent. I don't suspect we were using it as intended. So now I have a Hi Lift. And just order Maxtrax. And I'll keep all of that and my straps and chain and D-rings in the truck whenever there is a possibility I will be leaving suburbia.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 166

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well Dan, you learn by your own mistakes, and your wife sounds like a wonderful lady to have as a co-pilot and co-adventurer. At least you are out there doing it, and it looks like the only thing that got hurt a little during this outing in the end was your ego, maybe (and that crappy scissors jack). ;-) Look at where you got stuck, better up there than on the 405 at rush hour.

Maxtrax could definitely have helped, but please be careful with the Hi-Lift. Without a set of sturdy rock sliders and substantial nerf bars to use as leverage, I cannot think of too many safe ways to use that contraption with an LR4 without serious risks to your bodywork or... yourself. Have you considered an air jack (Bushranger X-Jack or similar)? Works wonders on almost every surface, takes little room in your trunk and it's way safer than a Hi-Lift. Thanks for the photos and the report, glad to hear you got out of your predicament unscathed.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto. I realize that the Hi Lift is dangerous. My nerd bars will help. I've had some Bill Burke training on it. But I am intrigued with the idea of an air jack. I saw one in a store over the weekend but it seemed like a gimmick. Do they work well for our trucks?

Oh, and I learned all about extended mode during the experience.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto. I realize that the Hi Lift is dangerous. My nerd bars will help. I've had some Bill Burke training on it. But I am intrigued with the idea of an air jack. I saw one in a store over the weekend but it seemed like a gimmick. Do they work well for our trucks?

Oh, and I learned all about extended mode during the experience. ��

The X-jack works just fine and can be filled from the exhaust or an air compressor. I think mine is called the "Bush Ranger X-jack" Pretty small and light too for what it can provide. Easy to pack anyway. I have mine in the sub-floor where the 3rd row seats used to be along with other items like recovery gear and camping stuff.

For your situation, the best thing would have actually been 8 sand ladders or waffle boards. Yes, 8, this way you could create a virtual continuous track on top of the snow ;)

There was simply no way you were going to drive through that spring stuff ;)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jwest. With recommendations from you and umberto it looks like I'll be getting some form of the X-Jack rather than replacing the OEM scissor jack. I'll keep it and the Hi-Lift with me when I'm out exploring. BTW, headed your way in a couple of weeks to visit our kids. Looks like your having a warmer season than usual in Seattle so maybe you'll be able to get out earlier and more.

And, umberto, you are spot on about where I got stuck - the getting stuck there was a whole lot better than on the 405 (or for me I25). In fact, it was a beautiful day and we really didn't need to be anywhere anytime soon.

The next day was great. One of our favorite, accessible and relatively easy off road areas - the Four Mile OHV are NE of Buena Vista, CO. If you ever get out that way do check it out. Pics follow... though not all of them have our LR4 in them.

DSC01522.jpg

DSC01517.jpg

DSC01525-Edit.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the trip/incident report, Dan, and glad it all worked out. I share others' comments and appreciation for your wife's ability to go with the flow. A keeper for sure!!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, cperez. 36 years in August!

I ordered the Bushranger (ARB) on Amazon. There were a couple of less positive reviews but some of that appeared to be inappropriate expectations or maybe user error. I see this as another tool in the bag for recovery and that the more I spend on recovery tools the less likely I will actually get into trouble. ;-)

Also watched the Overland Expo (Scott) review of sand ladders and such. I'm glad I went with the MaxTrax. I can actually see them being useful as part of building a quick "ramp" or bridge which we often encounter in the rocky Colorado mountains. Not that I would use these alone but that they could enhance a ramp built of rocks, etc.

BTW, as for getting through snow, we visited with a group of Jeepers this weekend who pride themselves on being the first to go through a trail early in the season. (They had some crazy stories about using their winch lines, etc. to "swing" their Jeeps across snow that has drifted on to shelf roads.) When they hit snow like I did the do the following. If not already done, they deflate their big, smooth (not knobby) 35" or more tires to well under 20 psi. - essentially balloons. Then the leader rolls very slowly forward, compressing the snow much like you would do if snow shoeing. They only go a bit at a time. Then back out. Then do it again a bit further. Eventually the create a compressed track through the snow. Interesting. (They all had lifted, accessorized Rubicons.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99