Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Ougrad1. Yes I am using spacers to fit the LR3 18s. I'm using the 1.25" (32mm) and it still wasn't enough clearance. So, I got the edges of the calipers trimmed (metal grinder) just a few millimeters down.

I really love the combo and I feel that the rims and tires are lighter than the original 19s.

I'm getting the Gap Diagnostic IIDTool to get a little lift and hopefully I won't need to cut the frame extensions.

Axel

Hi Axel,

I am getting the LR3 wheels and BFGs 165/65r18 installed tomorrow so will update you. I just don't get how some folks (eg expeditionportal LR4 project) are fine with 30mm spacers and LR3 wheels and require no trimming of the caliper while some are having issues. Also your tires have smaller diameter than David's BFGs but it seems like you are experiencing some serious rubbing issues while he didn't. Very confusing as once you install the wheels it shouldn't matter whether you are having LR3 or compo wheels....

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Axel,

I am getting the LR3 wheels and BFGs 165/65r18 installed tomorrow so will update you. I just don't get how some folks (eg expeditionportal LR4 project) are fine with 30mm spacers and LR3 wheels and require no trimming of the caliper while some are having issues. Also your tires have smaller diameter than David's BFGs but it seems like you are experiencing some serious rubbing issues while he didn't. Very confusing as once you install the wheels it shouldn't matter whether you are having LR3 or compo wheels....

Hey Michal,

So I just stopped by Gap-Diagnotic in Canada (I'm spending a couple days in Montreal) and got a IIDTool.

I used it to lift the truck (just 20mm for now) and it reduced the rubbing of the tires against the frame extensions but I think that it needs another 10mm or so to stop rubbing.

The BFGs are a great choice but I wanted to keep the unsprung weight to a minimum and have a tire that doesn't compromise too much the comfort of the truck ;) the price difference was only $60 per tire. The Hankooks come out second on consumer report tests due to their price but are better on ice and snow than all other competitors... I'm French so I initially wanted the BFGs (owned by Michelin) but I'm really impressed by the HKK. Just drove 500 miles on ice and snow in Quebec by -10F and the grip is unbelievable. Sounds like I'm trying to convince you to give them a chance ;))

As far as tire diameter the Hankook are indeed 31.5 vs 31.7 for the BFGs. Really surprised that no one experienced rubbing against the frame in the wheel well... Maybe you'll be lucky too who knows.

Regarding the front calipers I did get the rims powder coated but I doubt I lost that much space with it and the spacers I got are over 30mm at 32mm...

Can't wait to hear how it works out for you

Axel

PS: I just saw that you posted on ExPo. I'm axels there due a typo :(

Last edited:

avraja

Reaction score
Taken early morning from Twin peaks in SF. Went there for an early morning view of the city and one of my friend captured my LR4 with the sun rising in the background.

Attachments

• LR4-1.jpg
    LR4-1.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 102

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice LR4 - I still really like that red, so sharp.

It looks like you already have some accessories.

Congratulations!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice color which contrasts very well with the ebony interior. Congrats!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM