Side Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5MAP

Reaction score
This is a quesiton for those with side steps on their LR4's...

I've noticed a significant price difference between the dealer installed side steps and 3rd part side steps. Is the dealer product all that different to explain the price spread? Is there a feature on one and not the other?

Regards,
Mike

tmcgraw

Reaction score
Most of the time the dealer's justify their prices with the fact the dealer will warranty/back-up the product. Because they've certified them 'genuine'. They're normally made by reputable companies such as Thule makes a lot of our roof equipment. Thule is -sometimes- not the easiest business to get things done through (though I've had good experiences), so when people have problems, the dealer should be dealing with Thule and just getting what you need to get going again, Land Rover ownerships is about the experience not the 'waiting for xyz company to get back to you in a week' or 'maybe you deserve a refund, maybe you should get in-store credit'.

A lot of dealers SHOULD work with you on price if you can show them something comparable to what they're selling, they SHOULD want to do right by you and get your business as a customer & enthusiast.

But I've heard some horror stories from some here on this forum about their local dealers, which makes me sad because I know a lot of times I go out of my way to provide just a good experience even if I can't earn the business.

It'll ultimately come down to personal preference, some people like Land Rover's side steps, other people like xyz's side steps.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the time the dealer's justify their prices with the fact the dealer will warranty/back-up the product. ...
When I bought my LR3 they told me they would be covered under the 50K warranty if bought at time of purchase and installed by the dealer. If you buy outside of that, I'm not sure of the standard part warranty. I would absolutely negotiate this at time of purchase. At a minimum, if you have to pay the accessory cost for a part on a new vehicle, don't let them whack you for the install labor as well.

I got the side step tubes which rusted out around 100K.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM