Slider Comparison; anyone used either of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, not as easy as i'd hoped to find info on internet. Looking forward to Monday phone inquiries ;)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I've read so far, sure, this spray process is possibly just as good, but not necessarily. It is most definitely easier though for large things.

His LR3 rear bumper looks sweet.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Eric really know what he's talking about ? Or is this a really big deal new thing?! Galvanizing does change the surface, it's not just a coating and it's inside any tubing as well.

I've got a few industrial sources to ask about this and I'll let you all know what they say.

It's in our best interest I think to know the full detail of our options.

I'm maybe overly skeptical but it sounds like he just wants to make his only option sound better...plus, I don't think it can be correct to use Botha words together "zinc" and "aluminum" they aren't compatible that I am aware of.

One thing I found interesting: http://www.mythrimetallizing.net/aluminizing.html

I was just repeating what I heard and he was probably also just repeating what he had heard. I don't have a lot of details.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"3yrs no rust" ? LOL what a joke.

From what I gather, Zinc Nation's main market is the wrought iron / tubular steel industry. Not trying to speak for them, but I'd say that the 3 year guarantee is mainly driven towards that industry. The fences are grounded when installed, making the corrosion / electrolysis more apparent. Hell, I'll go out on a limb and say that these sliders when metallized won't rust to the point of failure during any of our lifetimes x 2. Can't say that about powder coating on plain steel! Once scratched, you open up a whole ball of wax.

Metalizing is not a myth... We started using it back in 98'.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah reading about it more, it sounds like a pretty cool alternative if there's no dip galvanizing facility nearby.

I will say kudos to Eric for at least trying to do something well because the Rover Specialties guys really dropped the ball on their prep/coating. Mine had almost no screamed or breaches due to grounding but in first year the coating delaminates just enough to hold water and rusted them very badly and expansively without even being able to see it early on. It was all hidden under the powder coating !

That's when I dug in to get them finished in best way possible starting with full blasting, then galvanizing, curing and industrial grade coated.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So *****!

IMG_20170418_093801_zpsvzyxusl0.jpg

I just took the sliders to UPS for shipping, when I went to get out of the rig I stepped on the non-existant slider and just about fell over. Gah!

I didn't notice the weight this time. Last time I had them off and drove, i felt like it make some difference. But this time I couldn't really tell they where off. Butt dyno calibration isn't great I guess.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new set hasn't arrived yet (I should have bought yours, they'd be on my truck by now. ;) ) so I'm still rocking the OEM running boards which I'm not a fan of. I was thinking of just taking them off before heading to the beach this weekend. I also don't want the running boards on for soft sand driving... they look like they could become sand anchors.

But now that I see a picture of your truck looking like a Donald Duck with his pants down, I'm keeping them on. :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also don't want the running boards on for soft sand driving... they look like they could become sand anchors.
I think you're probably right about potential hazards of the OEM running boards.

I'll say that in the winter when I remove all the roof items, and the sliders, mine feels very sporty. It's roughly 400 lbs. Also the wheel and tire are much lighter so the unsprung weight really livens it up.

Dare I say it feels sporty then ;)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...But now that I see a picture of your truck looking like a Donald Duck with his pants down, I'm keeping them on. :)
I'm just kidding of course. Your truck looks awesome even without them. Love those wheels.

So, hmmm... maybe I'll pull them off before the beach trip.

If I remove factory installed running boards, what's it going to look like underneath? Am I missing trim that is supposed to be there or will I have a dark black lower molding rail that had been shielded from the sun for years?

In any case, now that I got the wheels and vent painted, that silver rail on the running board has to go...
FullSizeRender13-vi.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody will know whay removal will reveal or you can start poking around ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72