Spare Tire ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare tire ?
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on new tires. I just picked up a full size spare to go with my 18" rims. It looks like I am going to go with the 285-60-18 I know the best bet is to have the spare in the same size. But I would like to keep the full size spare stored underside, with the 285 it has to be partially deflated to fit. I was thinking of running the spare in the stock size or a 265-60 so I could keep it fully inflated. That way If I am driving on a family trip and we get a flat I don't have to pack the powertank just to drive down the road. My other thought is to keep the donut underside and mount the fullsize spare on the roof when I hit the trail but then no full size spare when on a family trip. What are your thoughts on this?
thanks
Ryan

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, a swing out tire carrier is a good option. I really like mine. But if you don't
want to spend the $$ on one I would just air your spare down a little and just stuff
it up underneath and get a portable air comppressor to air it up when you need it. I did this for about a year and eventually got tired of pulling the tire from underneath and putting it up on the rack then back again. I would not run a smaller spare though
it depends on where and how often you go offroading.

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't realy want the swing out carrier. How much air do you have to let out to get the tire to fit under their? When I off road I have My CO2 tank for air. But when I am not off road and I got a flat would their be enuf air in the tire to get me home or to drive 60 miles to put more air in the tire to continue on my journey.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having not run the Coopers I couldn't tell you how far you should air them down.
I can tell you that I run Toyo Open Country A/Ts 285/60-18 and my spare fit
under the truck just fine. It required a little bit of shoving here and there, but I
made it work. One down side to pushing a tire that big under the truck was that
I couldn't use the trailer hitch receiver, not enough room. To tell you the truth,
I'm not sure how much difference it makes whether you air the spare down or
not.

DD

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not think of the hitch ? anyone with the cooper deflated run into that?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires with less air don't look any smaller on the rim to me -- except at the point of road contact with 1/4 of a car's mass compressing that spot. Tires are not so pliable by hand, either. Not sure about the deflation strategy, unless I miss something. I have no experience with this, but I like the idea of a 5th rim and tire and a compressor. Don't drive on a deflated tire, but carry a small compressor. Further, rotate 5 ways and get more life from a set of tires. As tread wears off the tires, they'll fit better in the spare space, too!

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the coopers and the full size spare. In the spare wheel storage area there are several rubber bumpers that are about an inch or so in height. I took two of these out so that my tire would fit nice and snug in the opening. It barley hangs below the bumper and I have never removed it prior to getting in the dirt and I have not had any issues with it under there so far. I do take almost ALL the air out, down to about 5psi or so. I also have a compressor that I permanently mounted under the hood so airing up when needed is not a problem. I would say get the full size and get a $50 air pump to go with it.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't folks with a matching full spare tire rotate 5 ways? I get a sense that craiglud also does not.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAIGLUT where did you get the $50 pump how slow is it? I had one that would go in the lighter and it took it seemed like 30 mins for a car tire.
Not to worried as long as it can pump it up in 5-10 min's.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't folks with a matching full spare tire rotate 5 ways? I get a sense that craiglud also does not.

I did not buy the full size spare with the original tires so there is some difference in tread wear, roughly 10k miles or a little more. I am just about to next oil change and I am going to see if I can rotate it into service. I actually have another wheel that does not have a tire on it yet. I am considering mounting another cooper and then just rotate 2 new coopers into the mix and have 2 spares.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo