Spare Tire ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAIGLUT where did you get the $50 pump how slow is it? I had one that would go in the lighter and it took it seemed like 30 mins for a car tire.
Not to worried as long as it can pump it up in 5-10 min's.

I got mine from Amazon, a lot of guys around here use them with good results. You can sometimes find it at Costco for $49. I have had mine mounted in the engine compartment just in front of the spare battery holder for about a year and it works great. I can air up all 4 tires from about 25 psi to full in about 10 minutes. I have never timed it filling up the spare.
http://www.amazon.com/Q-Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=pd_bbs_11?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1234182838&sr=8-11

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MV-50 is a very popular cheap compressor. It will do the job, but yes it does take some time to do it. I have one and bring it along on runs because inevitably, someone will get excited at the prospect of airing down without thinking it through and has no airing up capability.

For a bit more money (like, 4x the cost), the Viair 400 is an awesome little compressor. I can fill four large 35" tires on my Jeep in under 4 minutes each, but it really shines on the smaller LR3 tires
- 25psi to 42psi: 2:30 minutes (typical off road pressure)

I did a write up a while ago: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=72

Regarding fitting a 285/60/18 in the spare tire spot, yes you can. As noted, you have to air way down to stuff it in, but you can air it back up and still get it out with a bit of finesse. Its much easier if you remove the heat shields from the exhaust pipes.

dzjoint, are you Ryan? Thanks for finding those Hankook's. They look pretty good. I added them to the list.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MV-50 is a very popular cheap compressor. It will do the job, but yes it does take some time to do it. I have one and bring it along on runs because inevitably, someone will get excited at the prospect of airing down without thinking it through and has no airing up capability.

For a bit more money (like, 4x the cost), the Viair 400 is an awesome little compressor. I can fill four large 35" tires on my Jeep in under 4 minutes each, but it really shines on the smaller LR3 tires
- 25psi to 42psi: 2:30 minutes (typical off road pressure)

I did a write up a while ago: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=72

Regarding fitting a 285/60/18 in the spare tire spot, yes you can. As noted, you have to air way down to stuff it in, but you can air it back up and still get it out with a bit of finesse. Its much easier if you remove the heat shields from the exhaust pipes.

dzjoint, are you Ryan? Thanks for finding those Hankook's. They look pretty good. I added them to the list.

Yes I am Ryan. The secret is out:ahhhhh:
Ya I think the Hankook would be the next best thing to the Cooper.
I would love to see the cooper up against the BFG The Hankook was making the BFG look a lil wimpy. The cooper is so somilar to the Hankook but slightly more agressive.
I am thinking of getting a Hankook in a 265-60 as the spare.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..with 265 -60 you would be getting +/- 1 inch less in diameter... wouldn't that screw up the 4x4 electronics...
Anybody has an opinion in that matter????
How bad is to have one tire smaller in full time 4x4???

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..with 265 -60 you would be getting +/- 1 inch less in diameter... wouldn't that screw up the 4x4 electronics...

I don't think so. The speedo is basically mechanical, so while the calibration will be slightly off, nothing bad happens. The percentage of miscalibration is pretty minor. I think it is something like 4 mph at 60mph displayed (64mph actual?)

Anybody has an opinion in that matter????
How bad is to have one tire smaller in full time 4x4???

I'm not positive, but I think my space saver spare is smaller than stock OEM tire size, but I really don't know. It might just be skinnier and have the same overall diameter. I think in high range you will be okay for short distances, because the diffs stay open, but if you go into low range and have a rear locker, things would be bad, you might end up driving in circles :)

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM on my LR3 was 255/60/18 the spare is 175/80/19 which gives identical diameter...

Somebody had posted 285 zeon stuffed into the spare compartment..???

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Cooper Zeon stuffed underneath. It is deflated and I carry a compressor.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to run a stock full size as my spare 255-60 and the 285-60 on the other 4. I got a rim on ebay and it already has a stock tire on it with the **** still on the tire. I'll put it on the roof when I hit the trail and keep the donut underneath for protection. I will throw the full size spare underside when I go on a trip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink