Spare Tire ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...how much did you shell out for the rim?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"full size as my spare 255-60 and the 285-60 on the other 4."

This creates a significant rotational difference that is not good for AWD. The spare tire will be maybe 1" shorter than the other 3 (I did not use a calculator device), and turning much faster at same speeds. Sensors, differentials, etc. won't like that.

For Audi's quattro, rule of thumb is no more than 3 or 4/32" tread depth difference among the four tires, for example, actually making it difficult to replace just one if needed. I don't know LR's guidlines, but you might investigate.

Usually those donut temporary spares are sized to the proper diameter of the OEM fitment, by the way, even if they're way thinner (much taller/higher number aspect ratio with a tread width that is narrower/smaller number).

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a quandary that has been discussed on other threads. I am going to put this to the test on Sunday...

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have got mine for about the same..

It would be great to be able to keep 255/60/18 as spare -
Yet we should make sure that the Lr3 would take it without serious issues..
I know there is couple of guys from Audi Club that screwed up their 4X4 by runnung different diameter wheels...
The 285 stuffed under must look kind of chunky????

I am more concern with everyday driving or taking family trips..one has to have a spare that would work... if they would make 215/80/18 or better yet 195/80/19, 215/75/19 or even 225/70/19 we could swap those with the original spare ending up with 31.5 dia spare that would fit on the steel 19 spare wheel ...

That may actually be an important issue since appeares like quite few of us is driving with potentially unusable spare in their truck...

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the OEM full size spare with used 285/60/18 Toyo just to have spare of the same diameter as my zeons. It went into storage fully inflated with no issues , it looks like the hitch may not work the way it is now, well I do not have the htch yet ,
I will play with deflating the tire and removing the bumpers Iwill see if it will give enough clearance for the hitch...
I know some people removed the bumpers to stuff the coopers I wonder which ones any suggestions?? logically the closer to the bumper..yet there is the steel line spool box right there...thaat is more than one inch thick...???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink