Sunroof Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called dealer and they said unless it broke (not working), they are not going to replace them under warranty? Is it just me or it sounds ridiculous?

I would like to escalate this issue. Who/where do I need to contact?

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is ridiculous.

So be careful how you word your report to the dealer. You can try telling them that the sunroof is opening slowly or laboring when opening. ...maybe say it's making a particular sound. Then when they try to diagnose that issue they will see the arms.

It is true that the warranty works that way...there has to be a failure before they can address it. Help them to be creative!

buddaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just checked mine and there cracked also. I will have the dealer put it into my service record so in the future there shouldn't be any hassle; I hope

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting repeated cracking, you might inquire about replacing the cartridge for the sunroof (I think that's the term that my servicewriter used). We did four arm & motor replacements on our Freelander (the arms would break or bend, causing a jam) and the motor would fry out. It turns out that the cassette (the area that the arms fit into) was defective or out of proper alignment; LR only warranties replacement of the arms & motor, not the actual cassette, because the cassette is a fair bit more expensive, thus the repeated replacements.

When I pointed out that we were burning through them every 6 months or so and that we'd just keep coming back (dealer replaced items are warrantied for 1 year from date of replacement) until we sold the vehicle, they relented and replaced the entire cartridge. We didn't have any difficulty after this point.

Obviously we're talking about different vehicles, but the warranty rules are probably the same across models within LR....

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue as well and had them replaced under warranty. I even noticed the same issue on a loaner that was new (less than 3000 mi) while dealer was repairing mine!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my sunroof frame replaced under warranty. If you do, make sure that your dealer positions the glass evenly against the sunroof body cavity in the closed position. When my dealer did the work, they did not seat the glass evenly on all sides in the closed position. When driving on the highway, the gap on one side created a whistle that was unbearable. I had to go back to have it adjusted. Make sure you look at the glass panel in the closed position to see if it's evenly spaced all around before you leave the dealer lot. Otherwise you'll be unhappily whistling while you go......

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked mine as well, called the dealer and was told that more than likely the entire sunroof would need to be replaced b/c they no longer service just the arms...

Thanks for the heads-up!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my sunroof frame replaced under warranty. If you do, make sure that your dealer positions the glass evenly against the sunroof body cavity in the closed position. When my dealer did the work, they did not seat the glass evenly on all sides in the closed position. When driving on the highway, the gap on one side created a whistle that was unbearable. I had to go back to have it adjusted. Make sure you look at the glass panel in the closed position to see if it's evenly spaced all around before you leave the dealer lot. Otherwise you'll be unhappily whistling while you go......
This is my one area of concern. Is it better to leave the factory installed unit in place rather than have the dealership replace the entire sunroof? This can introduce leaks and other problems if not performed properly. If people are seeing cracks in vehicles within 6 months of replacement, and others appear in new vehicles with less than 3K miles, then what benefit is there to a replacement?

Question: Has anyone had a sunroof replaced in an LR3 who can verify that the cracks have not returned?

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my sun roof was replaced just over a year ago I will check to see if I have any cracks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112