Sunroof Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may exist when new, but that doesn't mean that it's the way it ought to be. They should be finding a material that doesn't crack, designing a new part with that material and then issuing a recall. Period. Selling cars with cracks like that is just plain lazy.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the arms on my sunroof. They're cracked - and this is my 2nd set. Dealer replaced the sunroof mechanism 1.5 years ago because of the cracks. I don't care if the dealer replaces the assembly this time as the cracks on a new one will just appear again. If anyone has their glass panel fly off the D3 because of the cracks let us know.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked my sunroof arms today and there are many cracks in it. I am out of warranty and was wondering what the cost of replacing this would be.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced again. It took a few days as the part number has changed. Accordingly to service advisor, nearly every LR3 has cracked sunroof rails. Personally I think there should be a recall, but since it isn't safety related, LR won't do it. My guess is the cost is around $1,200 or so as they have to take the roof liner out to replace the sunroof mechanism. They can't replace just the rails. The new rails are plastic, too, but they look like a different plastic, more like a nylon.

Good luck everyone. The first repair was under extended warranty last January, but the second was courtesy of the dealer under parts warranty.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see a big deal about it ,no actual problems have been reported regarding this cracks.Underneath this thin layer of plastic lays solid metal frame.PVC is just a protection cover with some cracks,maybe , but this does not affects roof's actual performance.So guys ,seriously , don't loose your sleep about it .There has been a long discussion on British forum ,about this particular problem ,nothing really malfunctioned yet because of this tiny little cracks so....I am just glad that major components run fine ,you know?I am not gonna loose my sleep on deteriorating steering wheel,farting A/C unit or cracked plastic layer on metal roof arms ,I rather keep my sanity in case something major fails.Sleep tight.Cheers

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder on this post. I keep forgetting to check mine.
Might not fail, but if it looks severe I'd get it replaced under warranty....more because it'll be pricey outside of the warranty. Guess I'll see what's there....

goinsurfin

Reaction score
My entire sunroof assembly was also replaced 2 weeks ago under warranty. for about 3 months, the roof was jamming when opened completely. quite annoying especially when the window would not reset... Southpointe said that the jamming was related to the cracked arms... It's a shame to read that in 3-4 years, this might happen again..

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally looked at my arms.
Low and behold, cracked.
At 86K, I'm of course not concerned about them now as the sunroof seems to be functioning, but I want to avoid a failure past 100K that cause the sunroof not to open.

Anybody have luck w/ a warranty repair on what appeared to be a functioning sunroof?

photo1vi-vi.jpg

The one stress crack right at the tip looks like it could be problematic once it makes it all the way through. Dunno...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about whether or not the arms are made completely of this plastic material or if there is metal underneath and the cracks are in the superficial layers. The cracks do not seem to inhibit function of the sunroof. goinsurfin I think your dealer was taking a shot in the dark with their assessment since no one else has experienced an inop situation with the cracked arms.

That said, I indeed got mine replaced under (extended) warranty even though the roof worked fine. A little slight of hand, but I reported a "strange, cracking noise" when operating the sunroof.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this only for 2005 and 2006 LR3's
do the 2007's have the same problem? Still under warranty and I would like to know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112