Suspension fault on 3rd compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m5ccie

Reaction score
Greetings--

I have an 06 HSE and I have been getting Suspension Failures - Normal Height Only messages now daily. Took it to the dealer and they said some valve was stuck open and they did a software upgrade to fix it. When the porter handed me the keys that fault was once again there...the service advisor was needless to say, embarrassed. The vehicle enhancement recall was supposedly done in 12/06 so not sure what the problem is. What is this software upgrade to fix an stuck open valve? Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Jim

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard that flavor of reasoning before...sounds like they are going to have to actually roll up their sleeves and perform a "hardware fix."

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 63K my '05 is in the shop now for a "Suspension Fault." I'll let you know what they find. I'd feel better about them finding some failing hardware than fixing it with a SW upgrade. We'll see...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my compressor replaced at about 49k after the dealer claimed it crapped out on them during some other checks. I hadn't seen any evidence of a problem...I hope this isn't a harbinger of doom for LR3 compressors worldwide!

m5ccie

Reaction score
They said it was a link valve that was faulty causing low pressure. They also said the compressor checked out ok. What is a link valve?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck.

My compressor was replaced as a result of the EAS error that was being reported. (I saw this as "Suspension Faults" that popped up over the past week). I was told this would have been about a $1000 repair ($699 part + labor) which was covered by my LR extended warranty.

Interestingly enough, it is good that this was a part failure and not a software update, as I just found out that software updates (even if they cause things not to work) are not covered under the extended warranty. (more on that in the Cruise Control post...)

-todd

m5ccie

Reaction score
They replaced the valve and fixed a leak at the compressor and upgraded ECU code. Picked up the LR, drove it a block, same fault came up. Now it goes back in again but after I put new tires on so they can align it as well. I think they need to replace the compressor vs. "fixing it" and maybe replace the suspension control module. According to what the service rep told me, as per LR, those can only be replaced under a complete failure...hmm, so that means that under partial failure, you keep bringing it in and they keep replacing components in my suspension until it's new again and then replace the control module which could have been the root of all problems to begin with? Nice, and it's fine by me!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your rep is full of it. When the LR3 has a fault, it generally leaves a code behind in the computer. The techs read this code and it tells them the problem...at least in theory. If the fault code indicates a new compressor is needed, they should replace it. You can always ask to see the computer feedback and codes.

Sometimes it helps to have the fault still illuminated at the dealership. I know that's not always easy, but if it happens consistently enough that you can "make" it trip up and then drive it to your dealership they may be able to ascertain more info from your computer.

Good luck.

m5ccie

Reaction score
Thanks,

It's funny you say that as I did turn around and pulled in the dealership with the fault on and left the car running. I asked if they wanted the tech to look at it while the fault is on and the engine running and he said it's not necessary as the fault will be stored in the computer and to come back later.

I love this truck and I'm sure they will resolve this issue...not sure if LR is very tight with $ now days and approve the repairs only after trying to fix the "cheap" things first or the dealership is being "difficult" because I did not buy the vehicle from them? But I will be fair with them and nice as I understand that sometimes it is difficult to diagnose issues especially when they may have to go a step further than what the computer tells them and LR may be putting the brakes on for additional repair unless it is completely justified.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635