Suspension fault on 3rd compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m5ccie

Reaction score
Thanks,

It's interesting you say that as I did turn around and pulled in the dealership with the fault on and left the car running. I asked if they wanted the tech to look at it while the fault is on and the engine running and he said it's not necessary as the fault will be stored in the computer and to come back later.

I love this truck and I'm sure they will resolve this issue...not sure if LR is very tight with $ now days and approve the repairs only after trying to fix the "cheap" things first or the dealership is being "difficult" because I did not buy the vehicle from them? But I will be fair with them and nice as I understand that sometimes it is difficult to diagnose issues especially when they may have to go a step further than what the computer tells them and LR may be putting the brakes on for additional repair unless it is completely justified.

kibbi57

Reaction score
Possible cause (and fix) for compressor issues

We have replaced compressors on both of our LR3s. We put the big Nittos on and do off-road. The second compressor problem was caused by a tire rubbing through the snakeskin and wiring for the air system. If you look behind the left front wheel, you'll see the snakeskin running on the inside of the wheel well about mid-height. Ours was rubbing at extreme turns. There was enough play to move the wiring up and out of the way.
This may not solve everyone problems with the system, but everyone with an LR3 should check and move the wiring before it's an issue.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the LR3 (it's an 05) back from getting the hatch fixed (were locked out) and now the suspension faults hit this weekend - in a big way. The compressor is running constantly, the driver's side was low/leaning over then the yellow rollover icon came on. Then about 5 mins later she dropped to the stops on all 4 corners, like all of the air bags deflated. Message saying we are limited to 30 mph, RED rollover icon and bumping like and ol' jallopy so had to turn around.

Had some guests visiting for some touring so we had to jump in my sedan and head back out. Now the LR dealer lives 2.5 hours away so i have a real headache here.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the suspension faults constantly and after many return trips to the dealer, they finally fixed it (so far so good). It ended up being a wire that had the coating rubbed off and it was causing a short which in turn gave me the suspension faults. They replaced compressor, sensors, practically everything prior to finding the damaged wire. I don't recall the location of it, but that seems to have finally taken care of my fault issue.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick check of the wiring, no sign of any damage. Ours is working now. I think the leaky exhaust valve is plausible. I mean there was NO pressure in the suspension at all by the time I was 5-10 mins down the road. Now she's fine. But all of the faults are stored of course. Now if it is what the TSB says it could be (and we won't know until next week) these air passages, in my experience need to be lubed up every few years with light silicone-based oil. Keeps the dirt flowing and valves sealing. I wonder if the orig. compressors/air system could use that. just a theory.

Weak Compressor: An official Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) LS-204-004 addresses "ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION (EAS) WARNING MESSAGE AND LAMP ILLUMINATION". This deals with the warning message "Suspension Fault – Normal Height Only" message appearing with the Air Suspension Warning Lamp on. Computer diagnosis shows pressure increasing too slowly or unable to pressurize, with no air leaks. The usual problem is the compressor exhaust valve sticking, causing an internal air leak when the compressor is active. The bulletin recommends renewing the air compressor (RQG500090 is the latest specification air compressor with a stronger exhaust valve return spring) and installing and updating the air suspension control module software using WDS disc 13 or later.

BlackRover

Reaction score
I had a problem with the suspension control unit being faulty...took the LR3 in and they gave me a loaner LR3, and while driving back to the dealer, the loaner had a suspension fault. LOL Don't know whats going on here, but its really funny.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got to drive our faulting LR to the dealer this week. 2.5 hours wish me luck.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the suspension faults constantly and after many return trips to the dealer, they finally fixed it (so far so good). It ended up being a wire that had the coating rubbed off and it was causing a short which in turn gave me the suspension faults. They replaced compressor, sensors, practically everything prior to finding the damaged wire. I don't recall the location of it, but that seems to have finally taken care of my fault issue.

If you have oversize tires, it would probably be the front left sensor wiring that rubs with large tires and has to be relocated away.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that's driver's side then...?

I have looked in both wheel wells and can't imagine it being a real problem; but I guess people have had this happen, huh? I am not sure if I have enough slack in the wiring to move it out of the way.

If it were an issue, would it have happened to me already? ...or does it happen over a long period of time?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had significant rubbing on my wires down there and did not have the slack to relocate
the wires. So I did the next best thing and mounted a small plate over them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo