The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_8770.JPG

IMG_8771.JPG

And with wider tread BFG AT KO2....well Grimm, now you've got me wanting to try L8's strut kit for best fitting of larger tire...thx a lot LOL

As you can see, with the 32" there is actually still clearance at the slider so if one were to lower the travel range by way of lucky 8 strut spacers, you'd fit a 33-34 with varying other issues depending on section width.

I may actually try the BFG KM2 in 255/80-17 it's only 33.3" and just enough narrower to tuck pretty well.

IMG_8773.JPG

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, joking aside....good info presented. I feel like above 32" it's diminishing return. Could be because I have 32s and I'm trying to make myself feel better, but more likely it's because you have to modify so much more and for what? I guess if it was gonna be a pure rock crawler then fine. My LR3 is my baby though, and I do take it off-road but it's more for adventure drives than for super technical day trips. I intend to keep it forever. To each their own though, mod away!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI people, without very obvious fender cutting and arch trim relocation (you'd be able to notice it immediately) 34's DO NOT "fit" and more than you could say a size 9 shoe fits if you actually are a size 11. Could you get it 'on', sure sort of, but could you do a hike, doubt it.

Anyway, it annoys the heck out of me these newbies pop up saying **** "fits" and then double down by saying the tires stuff into the fenders on articulation... NO THEY DO NOT.

Want proof? Nah, they never show it but here ya go and this is only a 33" with a narrower tread and section width on a 8" rim vs 9", meaning, this 'fits' way better and guess what, it doesn't actually really 'fit':

32" 275/65-18 and 33" 275/70-18. Essentially same tread width which is where the fender stuffing is our biggest initial tight spot during articulation. Wider, like 295 is all sorts of trouble compounded by using spacers, it's simply ludicrous to suggest they fit.

IMG_8865.JPG

Hers is the 275/70 with white letters out so I can easily keep track of 33 vs 32 in photos
IMG_8882.JPG

This is in contact and it's not using the full articulation. Note again, this 275/70 is about 2" narrower than the 295 tire mentioned and about 1/2 less in radius. Note if this were wider and taller, there would be no way to stuff up into the fender edge.
IMG_8883.JPG
IMG_8884.JPG

Testing in the front was also done both with and without 30mm spacers. Adding any spacer makes all aspects of clearances worse except for the UCA gap which is not required up to 285/60 just barely but would be required on taller/wider sections like 285/70.

Even the wider section width of the Duratrac 275/70 barely cleared the UCA on a bit of strut droop like is often encountered even in mild off roading.

The BFG AT KO2 is actually a fairly trim shaped tire with much less section buldge compared to the Duratrac but they both had almost equal tread width:

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_8947.JPG
IMG_8950.JPG
IMG_8892.JPG

Anyway, one could make all this stuff 'fit' but few have done the necessary work to garner the true claim. There's a guy who did a body lift. That is how you get 32+ to actually 'fit' or you have to move the struts like a tower top spacer which limits uptravel into the fender area.

It should be reiterated that 33+ WILL stop you dead if you loose air as the tires will fully engage the entire inner fender lining unless you have spacers in which case you'll sit them into the fender lip even before dropping fully onto bump-stops.

Someone needs to create a fender relocation kit but without that, or a body lift, there simply are physical limits for certain things.

This is just a fact. I don't care how anyone 'feels' about it. Facts aren't for feeling, they are for addressing and then problem solving. Modifying things to make it work is fantastic, but don't ******** people on a public forum where others are trying to learn.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire carrier was getting rather rusty in some areas while not at all in others so I finally removed it and ground to bare steel. Primed with first layer rust bonding/converter for inside tubes then industrial version primers two layers, then 3 layers satin black. Maybe it'll hold another 10 yrs?!

Bumper off too, to refinish top caps and is for the hell of it. May trim off another inch from exhaust even though they are flush with lower edge of bumper such that they cannot hit even if bumper edge drags on a tight departure.

IMG_9068.JPG

IMG_9073.JPG

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you running those big BFGs or were you test-fitting or...? I thought you already argued (successfully) that they don't really fit on the LR3....or have you made the required mods to do so?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM