Tire Rotation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

May sound ********, but is it a must? If it is and should be done, does it mess things up as far as the axles or drivetrain components, etc.? And what would be the correct procedure to rotate tires and at what interval. I know I know, the manual. But I remember reading a thread somewhere, not sure which forum, that there was some confusion or things were unclear or discrepencies between the LR recommendations and the tire manufacturer, etc.

X

xcursion

I thought I read it in a thread here about no need to rotate the tires due to our trucks' 4WD sys...but I can't find it with the search function.

A

aah78

Didn't want to start a new thread so posted here...

I work out of state so can't take my LR3 to the dealer for a tire-rotation.

There is a Pep Boys service station near where I work but they aren't very familiar with the Setting the LR3 has to be in when it is raised for tire rotation.

The manual mentions that when the car is jacked-up for changing a wheel, the vehicle has to be put in Low Range and set to Off-Road Height.

Does one have to shift to Low Range and set the car to Off-Road Height, before raising it up on the car-lift for a wheel rotation, or will just shifting to Low Range suffice?

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
I didn't do either when putting it on my lift. After it was back on terra firma the IP display indicated that I was in Off-Road hieght and that normal height would be resumed "when obstacle is cleared". When I started the engine it resumed normal height and did not register any further errors. I guess this would be avoided if you put it in off-road height before picking it up, but it didn't seem to cause any issues.
As far as tire rotation I'm doing it at every oil change (I did one at 3500 and will let the dealer do it at 7500). I think with all of the tire wear issues we've heard about with the Goodyears, and because I hate Goodyears, I think tire rotation can only help. I cross the rears to the front and move the fronts straight back. Luckily our tire pressure sensors are not location-specific or I couldn't DIY the rotation

CoreyS

Reaction score
I just had the dealer rotate my tires for the first time at the 22,500mi service. When I requested it, I was surprised when they told me that they do not recommend rotating tires on the LR3. I must admit, the tire wear has been pretty even across the tread of each tire, except that there is feathering on the outer tread blocks on each tire. The feathering leans the same direction on each tire, with the front showing more than the rear. Also, the overall tread depth is slightly shallower on the fronts. I can't complain, really, given all the other tire wear complaints I've heard about the LR3.

I had them rotate the tires to opposite corners, so that each would be rotating backwards from what they were. The bummer was that they charged me $75 for it! Ouch.

Does the LR3 have tire pressure sensors (TPMS)? Or does it use the passive method of measuring wheel speeds? I didn't think it had TPMS...

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
I don't know if all have it, but my 2006 SE has a sensor in each wheel. If a tire gets low you just get a tire-with-exclamation-point idiot light which doesn't tell you which tire is low. Because the sensors are not wheel-specific, as with some sensor systems you can rotate them without a factory tool to re-assign sensor locations. When it's all said and done it is a moot point with these crappy Goodyears that come on the trucks. I'm inclined to not rotate them so they'll wear out faster and I can justify some new smoother, quieter tires.

Cheers
Randy

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It learns tire position when you take off after starting. you don't need to be in low range to lift the truck on a full vehicle lift, the instructions you read are for doing one wheel on the side of the road. Swapping tires from left to right on same axle is recommended every 15k miles in your passport to service. My personal opinion is to rotate in an X pattern as often as possible. However, moving them not often enough will cause more road noise.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4