Took my LR3 to the dealer and now this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photodisco

Reaction score
My LR3 has 65k miles on it and recently took it in for some warranty work (covered by Ford ESP). While in the shop my service advisor called and told me that my front upper and lower control arms and bushings need to be changed plus some other items. ... All covered by warranty I had them all done.

Now - my steering wheel shimmys at 40-50+ mph. I took it back in and they state my Pirreli ATR's are cupped and that that is causing the vibration. Took it to a very reputable / independent tire shop and they verified this.

My question is ..... How can my solid driving truck go to the dealer and seemingly have no symptoms and all of the sudden with new control arms and bushings develop a shimmy? I looked at the tires when it was up on the rack and indeed the insides have worn faster than the outsides but this thing was driving perfectly ..... Any thoughts?

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me. Took it back to the dealer. They said they had rotated the tires after replacing the tie rods (or whatever it was at the time, I forget). They then un-rotated the tires (put them back where they were originally), and the vibrating steering wheel went away. I asked them how this could happen. They said that the tires slowly got worn into a particular non-standard pattern, but that the pattern was such that everything ran smoothly. But, when rotated, the uneven wear lined up badly.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the tire rotation theory. I've found that on the heavier vehicles I've owned that when I cross rotate tires I'll get a vibration. From what I've been from different tire shops, it's the way the belts are "broken in" and it's more noticeable heavier vehicles since you're now spinning the tires in the opposite rotation that they were used to spinning. The torque and rotational force to move the heavier vehicle is the cause. So now I only go front to rear and vice versa.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is such a common issue. You need to get them to the tire place and get them re-balanced. It will make a big difference. Not sure how many miles between rotations for you but if it was over 5k miles, then you will encounter this more.

photodisco

Reaction score
Thank you for your input(s).

Question - the Indy tire shop basically shied away from have a balancing done stating that the balance was probably not going to help the shimmy due to the uneven tire wear (tires more worn on inside tread). Should i still have them balanced just in case?

Also - to the best of my knowledge they have never been cross rotated only same side front to rear.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I'd probably just ride this set of tires out and exercise 5,000mi front-to-rear rotations next time around. The bushings only last 30-60K on average so you're likely to experience it again at some point.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation, but without the vibration. Took in my truck for the 105K service and needed bushings and one a-arm replaced (parts warranty). This also included an alignment of course.

I do have excessive tire wear on the inside of my front tires which was probably caused by the bushings or alignment. No road vibration, though, although I have had that in the past and the same solution worked for me....move the tires back where they came from.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink