What's the worst that can happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find a few issues with these arguments:

1. Running the rod mod does not make the CV angles any worse than they would be in Extended Mode.

2. You can realistically only go 32" with the rod-mod. This is not a large enough tire size increase to raise concerns about drivetrain stress. Most Gear upsizing guides don't even suggest a gear change. 2" OD is just not that big of a deal (in terms of drivetain stress).

3. In terms of off-road capability, If you think having 32" or even 31.5" tires instead of 30" is not a significant advantage off-road you are fooling yourself. Bigger tires take bigger bites, and hence make obstacles proportionally smaller.

4. Nate..."exponentially?" Probably not. Linearly maybe...

That said....and you guys all bring a lot of info and good opinions to the table, I think that the ovesized tire and bump stop issue is serious and I am going to prepare myself for that (Faultmate soon). I also agree that running the LR3 in a configuration (extended height) that it's not meant to be in for prolonged periods of time may be asking for trouble. It's probably okay, but for good measure I generally only run the rod-mod when on the trail or for short periods of time (like now through January for threat of lowland snow).

Good discussion; I think we all need Faultmates!

Trynian

Reaction score
I find a few issues with these arguments:

3. In terms of off-road capability, If you think having 32" or even 31.5" tires instead of 30" is not a significant advantage off-road you are fooling yourself. Bigger tires take bigger bites, and hence make obstacles proportionally smaller.

True, and I do run 31.5". My point was that for me using the mod or any other lift to run 32.5", 33" or larger is not worth the issues should you end up on the bumps. Not to mention that even lifted you will still compress your tire up into the wheel well on any difficult off camber trail, which I assume is the reason for putting them on, causing heavy rub.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went MT/R to get something more aggressive than the Coopers. If I could've done that without the rod-mod I would have.

...but now I have to admit that I'm sort of addicted to the extra clearance afforded by being in extended height whenever I want to be.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy that this thread went in such a positive direction! Lots of great, experienced information was just dropped here. Thanks Nathan, Scott, Houm and everyone else who chimed in. Too bad we're all spread out across the map. It would be epic to all get together someday and do some trail work! Cheers and beers all around!!

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
slight thread hijack:

i run 285 nitto terra grapplers with the stock suspension. i was playing in the mud a couple of months ago and after a couple of fairly deep water crossings the dash went full christmas tree (special programs not available, abs light, check engine light, etc.) and the suspension lowered. i turned off the truck and restarted multiple times. each time, the dash lights would go out and the suspension would raise itself but after driving a short distance the dash would light up again and the suspension would drop. eventually, i limped home with the dash illuminated and the suspension dropped.

as i drove home in this mode i did get some rubbing in the wheel well (nothing major) and the ride was atrocious (very bouncy). however, i was able to get home.

i assumed that when the suspension dropped i was on the bump stops, but from what i've been reading it sounds like the 285 nittos will rub like crazy and driving is not feasible when the truck is on its bump stops.

was i experiencing some different failure mode? am i misinformed on what to expect when combining 285s and total suspension failure?

thanks

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rod lifts

Excellent discussion. A few observations on my part. Unless you need extra clearance for the type of trials you frequent or larger tires, the rod mod is not necessary. I have done most difficult trails with stock vehicles and they get through with some extra care and a few undercarriage hits and some rim damage Did they do as well as my rig with the 32 inch MTR's and the rod lift? No, but good technique, going slower and just letting the vehicle do the work can make up for a lot. That being said, I prefer to operate my rig with the rod lift.

I have sold hundreds and hundreds of the rod lifts across the world and have yet to see any damage or problems attributed to the rod lift. Once again, driver technique is the key. If you drive too fast or try to gun it over obstacles you are more prone to damage. The advantage of the rod lift is the larger tire (I don't recommend over 32") and the added clearance. I off road in normal mode and only use off road mode for rock crawling or clearing large obstacles. The larger tires and lift help tremendously because the higher approach angle and lower point at which the tire meets the object makes it easier to get up and over. The ride in my vehicle is still very good with the lift full time and I have never experienced a single problem.

Larger tires do make a big difference. Tire size chart:
http://johnsonrods.com

Have a merry Christmas all -

Greg Johnson

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SocalLR3, the 285/60/18 is 31.5" or thereabouts. It rubs just a bit on full compression and a bit more on the bump stops, but they do work, as you have noticed. I think the BFG's are just a bit taller, but still just under 32". I think the BFG's are just a bit too tall should you experience the loss of all lift, but even then they'll work, just rub enough to damage the plastic wheel well linings. I've seen it happen, buts it's not too big a deal. I still really like the BFG AT.

Greg and others, I appreciate and respect all of your thoughts, work, and input. I'll freely admit that my opinions are just that. I hope time proves you all indisputably correct.

Here's to that trailside campfire round or two!!

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
The BFG are a bit more than 31.5, about 31.7 off the showroom floor. I use them because few other tires offer equal sidwall protection for our sharp rock SoCal terrain. After a few street miles they have very little rub at the bumps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635