Will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing here when my wife's LR4 would not start. She said she tried a few more times and had to press much harder on the brake pedal and it finally started. The following week the battery completely died. Consider it a warning that your battery is on the way out.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I recall that symptom and the first time this happened I tried the firm brake press right away. No joy.

I decided to come back to the dealer to see if I can get some prorated coverage on this battery which they installed under the vehicle's original factory warranty. I'm waiting for an update now and kicking tires on new LRs and Jags to bide my time.

Interestingly, I asked about AGM batteries and they said they'd be happy to sell me one but they discouraged it. Their reason was that the charging system in our vehicles is set up for wet batteries. He didn't say "no way" but that was his reaction. Frankly I have more confidence in the brain trust here but if it's a matter of a possibly hefty refund on the old battery I'll go with their recommendation. At any rate I will need them for the reset after the new battery is installed (no I don't have an IIDTool).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want top-of-the-line, I've been eyeing an Odyssey battery.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to come back to the dealer to see if I can get some prorated coverage on this battery which they installed under the vehicle's original factory warranty.

Update: For the 2nd time in two visits to the dealership, the news was much better than expected. My tech told me that my old battery had a bad cell, and that it fell under Interstate's 30-month free replacement warranty terms. He then apologized for telling me I'd be responsible for 1/2 labor to install and reset the battery monitor module. Turns out that for my MY vehicle, it's a full hour.

BTW, on my way to the dealership I got a "Transmission Fault" warning upon startup. My first reaction was that it was tied to my suspected battery issue. But then all kinds of horribly expensive diagnoses started swirling through my head. It occurred to me that owning a Land Rover will mess with you that way. It's like having a fairly benign health symptom and looking it up on WebMD. Next thing you know, you've convinced yourself that it's terminal.

Turns out that the trans fault was related to the bad battery cell. As has been noted here on the forum, all kinds of freaky stuff can crop up when your battery is on the fritz. All good now.

@ryanjl I will keep an eye on any updates about that battery for next time. Because we all know there will be a next time...:eek::D

BP 15LR4

Reaction score
Very similar thing happened to me a few months ago with my 13 Lux. Was running weekend chores mid morning, parked for a minute to run into a store, came back out and tried starting, all the dash lights would come on normally but the engine wouldn't start no matter what. Still under warranty, called Road Side Assistance, they made me do a few things (key fob pressed against the steering column etc, etc), nothing worked. They finally decided to send some help.

As I was waiting for the help/their commissioned roadside tech/mechanic to arrive, I decided to give it one more shot, and sure enough the engine started this time. Called them back and cancelled their roadside assistance appointment.

No clue at all what that was about. Perhaps, LRNA was testing out their big boss remote control engines shut off technology in case of an armageddon to prevent civil unrest/chaos :)

P.S. Not a conspiracy theorist and no star trek doll collection in my basement :)

I am having this very same problem as we speak and I came across this forum while researching.....have brought it into the dealer 4 times now....they still have it. I have tried all/most of the "solutions" proposed above with limited success. It has happened to me about 5 times in the past 2 months. Dealer claims everything checks out fine....then they find something that "might" have caused it, then it happens again.....very frustrating.....has anyone actually had a documented resolution/fix to the problem?
ManofTaste - has your problem disappeared?

Thanks

BP 15LR4

Reaction score
UPDATE - after a month of retrieving my LR4 and then returning it a couple of days later because the problem would re-appear, it seems the dealer finally solved it......it was a defective fuel-pump motor. I've had it for 2 weeks now and not a single recurrence. Fingers still crossed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72