Windshield leaking on passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Mark

My windshield leaked and I had the glass people put some sealant on the inside. The technician found the problem and fixed it.

Well, when the next rain came, the driver side was dry, but the passenger side had water on the headliner. It was wet between the glass and the fram AND it was wet up some on the inside of the headliner. I do not think it is the sunroof, because I pulled the headliner/sunroof peice and checked the headliner.

Well I went an put some GE Silicone II along the outside of the windshield where the rubber is pressed in because I saw some areas that looked like the rubber was seperated and may have been a leak path.

I then found some real liquid silicone at Advance Auto and hoped it would soak into the remaining holes and seal. Now I got something else that is supposed to be better than Silicone and is very 'wet' looking. It is called 'Lexel' from Sashco Sealants. It was going to rain today so I did not put any on.

Well it was wet in the exact same place and ran iwth the defrost on to dry it off. Tomorrow will be dry and I will try this stuff.

Does anyone know where this water is coming from? Am I looking in the right place.?

D

disco1

Are you sure it's not coming in from your sunroof? Get your garden hose out and run some water onto the roof so that it runs into the sunroof but don't over do it as the water will overflow the sunroof drain and negate the experiment. Avoid wetting in the area around the widscreen that you suspect.
If you still get water ingress, you have a blocked drain in the sunroof.

M

Mark

After washing the rover and going through one of our torrential rain storms in Eastern NC, I can safely say the water was coming in the window. I found on air buble that came about from the silicone seal, which I closed off.
I opened the front sunroof and stuck my head up there but my bifocals prevented me from locating the drain tube to check that theory.

I think it was the windshield. Thanks.

D

disco1

If you had someone fix the leaking windshield, and it still leaks, take it back to them, because here's the twist. Water on the headlining will eventually cause the adhesive (holding the cloth material to the headliner) to lose it's grip. The cloth will eventually sag just a little; then when you open a window and the air gets under it, away it goes. The only way to repair it is to take down the headliner.

M

Mark

Okay, I give up, where is the hose for the sunroof? My bifocals are preventing me from seeing the frame of the sunroof and tonight when I was looking with a flashlight, the thing I thought was the tube was a nut!

Any pictures?

M

Mark

An update . . .

The weather is warmer in Eastern NC and I had the time to investigate the leak. I found a cavernous area within the rubber seal which is against the windshield and the body. I then poured rubbing alcohol in that area and waited.
It leaked right where I knew it would.
I then filled the cavernous area with a very fluid silicone glass sealant.

To furhter the investigation, I gently pulled the headliner back and examined the body where the leak had appeared.
Guess what I found . . . the alcohol had leaked through an area of RUST!

Until the silicone settles in I covered the top part of the windshield with Saran Wrap since we have rain in the forecast tonight. A little bit of rain on the body and the windshield lets the Saran Wrap stick very well.

Maybe this will be the end of the leak.:albertein

M

Mark

Update (part deax). . .

The silicone did not work at all. I spent Monday night peeling every stinking bit out of the rubber and the two holes I found.
This style of window sealing (D1) is installed with hammering a rubber seal in between the glass and the body. I needed something to completely replace the purpose of the seal, yet provide sealing.
I went to Advance Auto and my frined behind the counter showed me 3M Wind-Weld, a very black, very sticky sealant for installing glass. I studied it for a few minutes and dropped $14.00 for the box.
I went home and proceeded to cut and paste and smear this stuff into the recess above the seal and the Rover body. Then I gently pounded the existing rubber seal against the 3M stuff and ensured the existing rubber seal was thoroughly closed off after each 12". I parked into the sun today to keep the stuff hot and flowable, stepping outside at to press the air bubbles(?) out. I found a section that I missed (the first section) and when I got home, I filled in that concave area with the 3M stuff. Took a towl and gently rubbed the seal rubber back and forth. I then pulled up next to the house and ran water on the rubber seal for five minutes.

Nothing came through (fingers crossed).

If something does come through I think I understand the setup well enough to find where the stuff is not making decent contact to the body and can push some more of this stuff into the missing area.

Otherwise - a big hammer and a sharp object !!! (after I have a seal and glass at the house) but I think this is the solution I was seeking.:hmmmm:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99