Wipers making crack-back sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewman75

Reaction score
This is a truly bizarre issue, and one that I have never experienced with any vehicle. I'm hoping someone else may have had this problem and may have some insight. When i use my wipers, as they hit the peek point of coming up, the driver side wiper makes a terrible noise that I can only describe as a crack or snap. Every time. And it is loud. As you can imagine, this is terribly annoying. At first I thought maybe it was something like gunk, wax or something else on the windshield or wiper and that it would eventually go away. No such luck. It persists. And honestly it sounds more like it is smacking against something then a drag or gunk issue. But I have no idea what it could be hitting. There is nothing on the windshield for it to hit. So I take it the dealer and they insist it is because I need new wipers. I was skeptical, but at this point I just want it fixed. So I replace the wipers. It disappears for a couple days, and comes back. Ughhh. Anyone have any idea. I have zero confidence now that the dealer can remedy this. If I have to, I'll run it back there. But hopefully someone here may have some ideas. Thanks.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jess I have same problem. I vent to dialer first time and I got new wiper arm.
No help, I still changing may wiper blade evry two month. If you found any solution pleas let me know thanks.

40lr3

Reaction score
I have the same problem, the only remedy I've found is to use older style steel framed wiper blades, they run silently.

drewman75

Reaction score
It's oddly comforting to know I'm not the only one. ha! 40lr3, so the older style blades resulted in the issue going away? If so, I am definitely going to look into that. Thanks.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our driver side blade often hops across the windshield, banging as it goes back & forth. I figured out that this is caused by road grime building up on the wiper blade. If I clean the blade with alcohol it goes away for a week or two.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it as well not as bad when on hi but it is annoying

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this:

Back in the day, we had a bulletin on Cadillac vehicles for something similiar. The theory was that the windshiled would get grime deep into the micro-crevices and junk that normal cleaning couldn't get would collect, causing friction and grabbing the blade. The fix was to clean the windshield. Not just wash, or glass cleaner, but total de-grime it. The bulletin had you clean the windshield with Bon-Ami or similiar, (the can claims it won't scratch glass, really, right there.). Get the glass wet, make a thin paste and scrub it down, followed by a very thourough scrub and rinse.
Sounds like withchcraft, but it makes sense. We fixed a lot of cars that way. In fact, Jaguar makes a special screen paste for just this reason. I've done this and had some success.
Anyway, if nothinhg else is working, try it on a small area first if it gives you the *******.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, I wasn't the only one... I switched to Bosch wipers and it got much better.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you have point
I install bad wiper blade from may LR3 to Nissan and works like new.
Look lake wiper are fine may LR3 is bad.
Haw I can clean windshield with oath any damage .
Do anybody know the steps

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RainX is basically wax for your windshield. Might help, certainly won't hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4