Rasta vs Mantec under bumper skid plate??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you doing the winch install?
Let us know how it goes and how hard it is to reach in to free wheel the winch.

I really debated a new bumper vs. the hidden winch. For me, in the end, it came down to: I can go from a hidden winch to a bumper if I do not like it. However, it would not be easy to reverse a RTE/SG bumper to a hidden winch setup.
I have an XD 9000 that I am going to wedge up in there when the kit gets here this week. I am going to do the install and will report back on the progress and usability. A friend of mine took a photo of the exact setup that I am going with on an LR3 that was out at the Anza Borrego trip a few weeks back. The rover even has the RS sliders that I already have. I think it looks pretty sweet :smile:

I wish I knew whose truck this was :confused:
Here is a photo of that rover:
lr3_hidden_winch.jpg

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Hi country gas tank skid goes over the existing skid which leads me to
believe you would lose some clearance. RS is supposed to be coming out with one
but seems to be stuck in limbo for some reason. I'm ready to make this purchase
yesterday but it seems like everyone is scrambling to get more popular items to
market.

Trynian

Reaction score
I really debated a new bumper vs. the hidden winch. For me, in the end, it came down to: I can go from a hidden winch to a bumper if I do not like it. However, it would not be easy to reverse a RTE/SG bumper to a hidden winch setup.
I have an XD 9000 that I am going to wedge up in there when the kit gets here this week. I am going to do the install and will report back on the progress and usability. A friend of mine took a photo of the exact setup that I am going with on an LR3 that was out at the Anza Borrego trip a few weeks back. The rover even has the RS sliders that I already have. I think it looks pretty sweet :smile:

I wish I knew whose truck this was :confused:
Here is a photo of that rover:
lr3_hidden_winch.jpg

This is my friend Mark's LR3 in the SCLR club. Mark did a good job on his setup. We both have the same setup accept I did not want the winch, I am working on a front hitch receiver behind the license plate to use a removable winch. I also have an altered Rasta under body plate under the engine in place of the stock one on Mark's in the photo. I did the alteration to work with the Mantec front skid just to see if I could, it is not really needed, it only covers just a small amount more then the stock.

I am in this photo:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tawfikben/PilotRockTrailSCLRMAr09?feat=directlink#5313464778113019730

Can't see the RS sliders with the shadow but they are there.

I am looking forward to a tank skid. If I can't find one that doesn't lessen the clearance then I will have one made.

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I am working on a front hitch receiver behind the license plate to use a removable winch)

How is that comming along I am assuming you are mounting a reese style mount?
I am Interested in that as well.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(This is my friend Mark's LR3 in the SCLR club. Mark did a good job on his setup. )

How does he like the winch inside the bumper? Is it hard to get at and actually use it?

Maybe we can get a group discount on some custom tank skids??? Anyone??

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is that other underbody plate (in the pic) that lines up with the front edge of the sliders a Rasta plate?

Trynian

Reaction score
(This is my friend Mark's LR3 in the SCLR club. Mark did a good job on his setup. )

How does he like the winch inside the bumper? Is it hard to get at and actually use it?

Maybe we can get a group discount on some custom tank skids??? Anyone??

He likes it but I don't think he has had it long enough to know yet if there are any difficulties that are an issue.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
So is that other underbody plate (in the pic) that lines up with the front edge of the sliders a Rasta plate?

Yes it is the Rasta Transfer case plate.

Same in this photo of mine but I also have the altered under body plate.

http://netshumo.smugmug.com/gallery/7623250_yKZUX/1/493092362_KSn7D#493028544_CNzuX-A-LB

Here is a new member to our club that put on the Safari guard Sliders.

http://netshumo.smugmug.com/gallery/7623250_yKZUX/1/493092362_KSn7D#493031423_cEgT7-A-LB

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is Rasta a foreign company? The reason I ask is, here's the description of the front plate on their website:
"Front Skid plates - We took care for highly finish and designing to keep it the outline feet to your LR3 shape."

Reminds me of that old Japanese video game - "All your base are belong to us!" "Somebody set up us the bomb!" :smile:

Trynian

Reaction score
Is Rasta a foreign company? The reason I ask is, here's the description of the front plate on their website:
"Front Skid plates - We took care for highly finish and designing to keep it the outline feet to your LR3 shape."

Reminds me of that old Japanese video game - "All your base are belong to us!" "Somebody set up us the bomb!" :smile:

I think they are Australian.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink