No Stereo Volume - Blown Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I lost sound from the stereo (HSE). The display worked, I could change the station, but no sound (or volume number on the display). I checked the fuses and found one that had blown, so I replaced it with the correct amperage (10a?). It was fixed... but only for a day before the replacement fuse let go.

I was leaving for a road trip the next day so instead of using head phones for the drive I resorted to installing a 15a fuse. This worked just fine until today when the stereo quit again. Same symptoms as the first & second failure. Any ideas about what the issue may be? My guess is it's an issue with the amp, but I'm no stereo guru.

One thing thats lingering in the back of my mind is that when I had an issue with the sunroof leaking, the service manager at LR advised me to pull the passenger side front sill cover off & check the connector there for corrosion. I have not done this yet.

Thanks for any input!

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upped fuse to 20a.

Might get that fire extinguisher I've been putting off!

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 20a fuse blew, so I replaced it momentarily with a 30a that got hot really quickly - I pulled the 30a out. Then decided to pull the sill plate & poked around a bit - found no evidence of anything corroded or damaged. I unplugged the nav unit to try to isolate where the problem is... power must run through the nav because there was no power to the stereo with it unplugged. So, I decided to pull the stereo & give it a visual - things looked just fine from the out side.

I put it all back together - heres the strange part-

With a 10a fuse it all works again!! :confused: So I'm happy once again.

I cant imagine it needed a "reset" but who knows?

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had it in to see the dealer last week & asked them to check it out. No issues found.... But the next day the fuse blew again!

adharris70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have some kind of exposed wire or something is hooked up wrong because there is to much ampage going to that source.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealer says they traced the wires back to the fuse box & found nothing out of the ordinary, in fact they said it looked perfect. My guess is that either the stereo or nav display is malfunctioning in some respect & pulling additional load. Of course it's intermittent & difficult to diagnose.

I have wired a 15a 12v circuit breaker in place of the fuse in hopes of gaining some clues about the circumstances that surround a fuse blow event. This way I can immediately reset the breaker instead of fitting a new fuse each time. So far the breaker has not tripped.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM