2005 LR3 Tailgate Latch problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rimstalker

Reaction score
Like many others, I have also now encountered the notorious tailgate latch problem on my 2005 LR3. Pressing the tailgate opener, I can hear some action inside, but the top tailgate doesn't open.

Reading some other posts, I got hold of the Technical Service Bulletin from Land Rover (25Nov 2008 - LTB00191) that even includes photos on how to access the tailgate latch and actuator. I jumped in the back with tools and managed to fairly easily get the carpet trim lose and also cut a hole in the water shedder - but then I got stuck....

With really only 2-3" to work in between the carpet trip and the body, I can see the latch mechanism, but I do not see the latch lever to open the tailgate. According to the instructions I should push a flat screwdriver against the lever to open the latch. I pulled out all of the water shedder, but still don't see this latch lever. Does anybody know where I should be looking on a 2005 LR3?

What also bothers me a bit is that my cable doesn't seem to be broken (like many others). Could it be that something else is wrong?

Acuwar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any information would be helpful. I ,too, cannot find the latch lever.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how did you fix it? I am starting to have the same problem.

Rimstalker

Reaction score
Fix LR3 stuck tailgate instructions

I also managed to fix it and will do a bit of a write-up to help you guys. A bit tricky but definitely possible to do yourself (and not spend $500-$1000).

First, get hold of the technical bulletin "LTB00191", I found one at http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/13978/Liftgate Latch Diagnostics.pdf. This has photos of what you should be doing. I found that even with this, it was still tricky.

Step 1: Get yourself a flat putty knife (2" wide), a knife or a flat screwdriver - I used the putty knife. Get into the back of your LR3 and look at the back. You'll see the S shaped plastic trim around the carpet on the lower gate. Just to the left of the middle S, prise the lower liftgate carpet from under the top trim of the liftgate. Be careful not to damage the trim, but you should be able to fairly easily lift the top trim over the hard carpet piece. The carpet is glued to a piece of hard plastic and you need to get this plastic out from under the top trim. Should take about 5 minutes to do this. Work your way from the middle to both sides and position the carpet trim away from the liftgate. This will open a 2-3" gap for you where you should see the inside.

Step 2: Once you have loosed the carpet trim, push your hand into the gap and start removing the water shedder on the inside. This is that piece of thin foam that is glued over the holes in the liftgate. You need to remove this to get access to the latch. I used my hands to poke holes into the water shedder and then rip it out piece by piece. You really have no choice here and must remove the water shedder. To give me more space to work with, I inserted two tennis balls on the left and right hand side of the carpet trip inside the gap.

Now it becomes tricky and this is where the technical service bulletin lost me a bit. The photos they have in the bulletin, shows all the pieces as if the liftgate is already open and you have easy access to everything - in real life, you only have 2" inches to work with, can't see much and it's a lot trickier. Once you have removed the water shedder, you will see the actuator and the cable going to the latch - just to the left of the middle of the liftgate. Don't bother with the actuator, but follow the cable to the latch. You won't see the latch, but should be able to feel it, it's hidden behind parts of the liftgate body, just to the left of the middle at the top of the liftgate. I used a flashlight and a small mirror and squeezed this into the gap to take a look at the bottom side of the latch.

Step 3: Drink a glass of water\whisky\beer, because you will now need all the patience in the world. On the bottom side of the latch is a small hole - you can see this if you used a small mirror like I did (or the photos in the bulletin), but you can also feel it with your fingers. Keep in mind that you can't see the latch and have to work a bit blind here. Use a small screwdriver and try to get it into that small hole. I used a flat screwdriver that was about 4" long. This may take a few tries, but once you have the screwdriver into the hole, move it back and forth. This requires you to stick your hand through that 2" gap, point the screwdriver up at the latch and feeling a bit with your fingers for that hole. If you are really lucky you will hear a pop and the top liftgate wlll open! Finish the rest of the water\whiskey\beer!

Step 4: The rest is much easier. With the liftgates open, you will have to remove the carpet trim piece to get access to the actuator. This is done by removing the two side screws that holds the two liftgate cables in place on the bottom liftgate. Put the carpet trim to the side and you will now also see the screws that holds the actuator in place. Unplug the electric cable that goes to the actuator (you can get access to this through the hole where you remove the water shedder by the actuator). Take out the actuator and open the plastic covering.

Chances are very good that you will now also see the problem as to why the liftgate didn't open in the first place. There is a small (very small) L piece of metal at the end of the cable that connects to the actuator. Mine broke right at the elbow of the L. The engineer that designed that should be fired! No wonder everybody is having problems with this.

Anyway, I used some metal wire and connected the cable very thoroughly to the actuator end-piece again. I'll lave it up to you as to how you want to repair that piece. I heard some people used a cable tie. Mine will definitely not come loose again, but just to play it save, I also added a second flexible cable to the actuator end-piece and run that into the back of the LR3 with a pull ring to manually open it if that actuator cable breaks again.

Happy driving!

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rimstalker
That was an excellent write-up on how to get to and fix the latch along with the technical bulletin. I like the extra cable as a backup! This will be very helpful for to a lot of people with this problem. Thanks!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Step 3: Drink a glass of waterwhiskybeer, because you will now need all the patience in the world. ...

LOL

Thanks for taking the time to document it. AND, the link to the TSB is the first I've seen on this issue. Very informative as well. Thanks!!

Madd07

Reaction score
Lift Gate Help

I have the same problem on my 06 LR3. I followed the instructions you gave and found the hole you where I am supposed to insert the screwdriver. I have used a mirror to verify I am looking at the right spot. The problem is I do not see the little lever that I am supposed to make contact with to open the latch. Should the lever be visible or is mine broken and therefore the reason why my lift gate won't open? Any ideas?

mrj115

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info in this post. I took advantage of it today as I repaired the liftgate on my 06 LR3. Once I got the lower hatch open and pulled out the actuator I saw the broken L-angle fall to the group. I took two ring electrical ring terminals and crimped them to the actuator cable inside the box. The first one I double tied to the servo with safety wire and the second I ran 2' for 1/16" braided steal cable through and drilled a hole through my lower liftgate so I now have a manual quick release if this ever happens again.

Attachments

• IMG00040-20101023-1542.jpg
    IMG00040-20101023-1542.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

garudatx

Reaction score
Awesome write up RimStalker, but I am having the same problem as Madd07.

I have looked at it with a small mirror and can't tell what the latch actually is.
Do I just try to move the Black piece left or right? or is it the metal piece. I am trying again tonight, I am using a 4" screwdriver with a flat head, but I thinking I need one that size with a slightly larger head on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112