LR4 Off road in San Juan Mountains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just returned from a trip to the San Juan Mountains of Colorado with my family. It was great and we love our LR4 even more for taking us to areas that would otherwise be inaccessible to us.

I think most LR4 owners are aware of this but Silverton/Ouray/Telluride area of Colorado is an off-roader's dream. Every 3rd vehicle is a Jeep and this area must have the highest number of Jeeps and other off-road capable vehicles any where that I know of. Numerous books are available that describe the trails and their various aspects difficulty, scenic or historic significance etc. I got 3 such books and relied on them to decide where to go. I have a young family and did not want to extend the limits of my kids and wife's risk tolerance. Also - I normally do not part take in any activity that I think is beyond my abilities.

So with a lot of research we did Yankee Boy Basin (Day 1), Corkscrew Gulch, Hurricane Pass, California Pass and California Gulch (Day 2) and finally the Clear Lake Trail (Day 3). I wanted to do the Alpine Loop i.e. Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass but storms were in the forecast and I didi not want to be on a bad part of a trail when the storm hit.

I selected the above mentioned trails for their moderate difficulty level and for their scenic ratings (because we primarily enjoy sight seeing and scenic driving). These trails are no cake walk. They will over-stretch the abilities of a beginner and will definitely turn a beginner into an intermediate off-roader. There are steep grades, very rocky stretches and sharp/tight switch backs on these trails. About 90% of the trail might be straight forward but the remaining 10% will get you attention and some. My wife decided to walk a few spots as it was too much for her tolerance levels as shelf roads got very narrow with huge drop offs and in some places tire placement and vehicle articulation was paramount to not going over. Also - the ability to allow any on coming traffic to pass, or to pass-by someone else with inches to spare requires experience and nerves. Persons fearful of height should not drive these trails - regardless of trail's difficulty rating.

LR4 performed seamlessly and as usual made me look like (and feel like) a better driver than I actually am. The wizardry in this machine is just remarkable and I am now in love with this vehicle.

I got Cooper Zeon LTZ tires (and a full sized spare) for this trip. I think that was a wise choice as some of the trails are very rocky and the rocks are very sharp. These tires provided much needed traction on very steep ascents/descents and their rugged tread handled the sharp rocks quite well.

I've added photos/videos to share the experience.

Videos:
(I will add more videos in the next few days)
http://jawad.zenfolio.com/p267549748/h2b9bfff7#h2b9bfff7
http://jawad.zenfolio.com/p267549748/h1cdeccaf#h1cdeccaf

Pictures:
http://jawad.zenfolio.com/p428800108

Needless to say that I highly recommend this area to all Land Rover owners.

Cheers!

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome videos
I keep forgetting zenfolio added the video capability

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were up there 2 weeks ago. Great pictures and visdeo! We saw an LR4 same color as yours on 149 driving from Creede to Lake City

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were up there 2 weeks ago. Great pictures and visdeo! We saw an LR4 same color as yours on 149 driving from Creede to Lake City

Must have been someone else, since I just came back yesterday. I did not see any other Land Rovers on the trails. Almost exclusively Jeeps and just a couple of FJ Cruisers mixed in.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jamgolf:

AWESOME photos... looks like an amazing trip. I am jealous! :)

-David

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome videos and great tunes as well............what camera and music album were you using....

thx alot for posting.............

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome videos and great tunes as well............what camera and music album were you using....

thx alot for posting.............

Photos: Nikon D700
Videos: GoPro Hero2
Music: whatever I found on my thumb-drive :)

Thanks for looking.
Cheers!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those pictures. What beautiful country! I have been out to that area a good bit in the winter, but have never seen it like that before.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99