'04 Range Rover - Trans. Failsafe Program - Please Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John422

Reaction score
Guys, first time poster here, but I've been a lurker for a little while. Thanks for all that you do!

I have an '04 RR with only about 75,000 miles on it, it's showing the "trans. failsafe program" at startup. If I let her warm up for a bit, AND make sure shes on a level surface THEN restart the vehicle it will usually reset the computer and the vehicle will work just fine. This has been happening intermittently for a little while, but then the AC Compressor went out the other day just after startup, and its also saying "check coolant."

My service shop (the guy is great) isn't quite sure what to make of the "trans. failsafe program" since Land Rover will only allow certain fault codes to be read by the dealer's computer. So we're sending it to Land Rover for the diagnostics, and have decided to hold off on replacing the AC Compressor until we know what we are looking at with the trans issue.

I've been looking around the forum and from what I can find this could be anything from just needing to flush the trans system and do some fluids, to a sensor, to a radiator, to replacing the entire transmission.

I'm hoping you all might have some advice to help us drill down on where there problem is coming from and then to make sure to fix it properly. Despite the low miles, the vehicle is getting older now, and I don't want to just start throwing money at the problem. I could see the dealer suggesting I put thousands upon thousands of dollars into it.....but I suspect that there are better ways to fix this.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing or looking at? Thanks in advance!

- Also, I forgot to mention, very occasionally, when you turn the key to start the vehicle, nothing happens with the engine. The lights come on, and audio works, etc, but I have to press on the gas a few times and turn the key back and forth, and then she fires up. Not sure what to make of that either. Just wanted to make sure I posted all of the symptoms.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
2 things, check voltage at the battery, and driver side rear panel in the trunk area, remove and check for water damage from the sunroof drains.

John422

Reaction score
Thanks, I will have them check that as well!

The dealer is telling us that the problem is coming from a range sensor. Part #UHB500020.

Quote to repair: $1,400 ($900 for the part, $500 for the install and calibration)

Vehicle also needs an AC compressor and a belt.

Quote: $1200

So all in, $2600 to get her back on the road.

Considering its a 17 year old vehicle, does this seem worth it to do? It only has 75k miles on it, but shes getting up there in age.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are, but I would not go to the dealership (rover) if you can help it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA