'08 LR3 Transmission Fault - HDC Failure Speciual programs not avail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc L

Reaction score
Really cold weather here -30+ and just had transmission fault(failure?) HDC Failure - special programs not available.
This msg displayed after driving for about 15 min in Snow/gravel mode

Drove fine (suspension lowered tho)

Recently had starter replaced and some rear brake bulbs replaced

Any insight out there

Thanks

5crows

Reaction score
I have had transmission linkage problems HDC failures and also Transmission faults with a 2006 LR3. I replaced the transmission fluid, but did not fix. I adjusted the cable linkage several times, but although it shifted ok, it never seemed to stay in gear after an undetermined amount of driving. The most obvious symptom was although it was in Drive at the center console, the D in the speedometer display window would go out. Then if un-noticed, engine would rev from a stop. Sometimes I could use sport and manual, but sometimes they didn't work.

Noticed that I could put pressure on the shifter and that could cause the D in dash to come back on. Release pressure and it might go off, sometimes staying on. When on, transmission worked, when off, no go.

So, during one linkage adjustment scenario under the truck, I noticed a couple wires in an electric circuit box behind the linkage cable connector. It seemed loose and partially separated, I reseated it, re-adjusted linkage, and all is well. The Speedometer display show the D solid and hasn't went out since. No HDC faults or Transmission faults driving across the state during a snow blizzard.

Can anyone speak to whether that electric circuit controls the dashboard display of gears? PRND, etc? Seems they all need to be in sync, linkage is adjusted, have a D on the center console lite up and the D on the Dash display. If Dash display D, doesn't sync, you get the transmission fault and the transmission is disabled or in neutral.

Last edited:

Rhino007

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my LR3 and it ended up my transfer case module was bad. My display would say that it was in "low" gear as well. $800 later....all was fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99