100,000 Mile Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 has been on the market for nearly 7 years now. A number of owners have crossed the 100K miles threshold, and many more are not far behind.

For those who have "crossed over" to the other side, please share your experiences here, so that the community can benefit from your experience.

Everything going okay? Any new problems begin to surface with higher mileage?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm around 120K. Everything is going fine. It regularly goes on trails, beach when I can, and I am constantly reconfiguring the seats to load in bikes, kiteboard equipment, fishing gear, kayaks up top, wet dog in the back, packed full of luggage for a road trip, and then back to the kid's car seats.

I really feel like all the kinks were worked out under warranty and things seem very stable. Folks regularly comment that they are surprised it is a 2005 and has the miles that it does. It has gotten a lot of use but has held up well. I keep it relatively clean, but I don't baby it... ("relatively clean" - the small amount of maintenance time you can squeeze in when caring for a 1 year old and a 3 year old)

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm around 120K. Everything is going fine. It regularly goes on trails, beach when I can, and I am constantly reconfiguring the seats to load in bikes, kiteboard equipment, fishing gear, kayaks up top, wet dog in the back, packed full of luggage for a road trip, and then back to the kid's car seats.

I really feel like all the kinks were worked out under warranty and things seem very stable. Folks regularly comment that they are surprised it is a 2005 and has the miles that it does. It has gotten a lot of use but has held up well. I keep it relatively clean, but I don't baby it... ("relatively clean" - the small amount of maintenance time you can squeeze in when caring for a 1 year old and a 3 year old)

Sounds like you're living the dream. Any major repairs along the way? Did you have a warranty to 100k?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're living the dream. Any major repairs along the way? Did you have a warranty to 100k?

I did have the extended warranty until 100K. I'd have to go back to invoices and look, but I think most of my service visits ended up being software reloads and sensor issues. I went in for the rear hatch failing a couple times and some alignment issues. I don't recall any major repairs needed. I'd have to go back and check but i think i had a differential or something replaced under factory warranty because the dealer saw a known issue. The truck never stranded me.

Still though, it is my first LR and I don't know how long all the major components are supposed to last. As I said, still feels very solid. The interior has taken a bigger hit due to all the use, but I now have seat covers on the front and do my best to keep up with the grime...

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at about 102K now. I ahve had my SE (7) since it had 11K. Cosmetically - the black parts are fading a bit, but its probably my fault and can be 'blacked' easily. I thinking of the black dyes out there. As far as mechanics, I have not had any major issues except: the tailgate issue...front suspension bushings knocking...compressor was replaced (under warranty), front heated windsheild was replaced (under warranty), Steering wheel leather was peeling (replaced under warranty)

Hope all continues well (knock on wood)

Otherwise just routine maintenace at the dealer. my leather is holding up well too. looks a lot better at 100K than my Acura at 100K.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an LR4 owner, I might be poaching a bit here but I'm wondering how many of you are considering buying an LR4 to replace your LR3.

Thanks,

Marty

Trynian

Reaction score
As an LR4 owner, I might be poaching a bit here but I'm wondering how many of you are considering buying an LR4 to replace your LR3.

Thanks,

Marty

I am only at 70k on my 06. I have no short term plans to change to an LR4. I am not really a fan of the exterior "bling" on the LR4 but I like the new motor.

More than likely I will keep the LR3 as my offroad vehicle when I am ready to get another. Then maybe get a RR or RRS as my daily driver.

As far as repairs: I had the front lower bushings done at 35k and then all of them done at close to 60k. Tranny torque converter seal went out at around 50k and recently a front diff seal was replaced and the rear diff failed. Truns out the rear diff halfshaft bearing was not seated well when made and it wore out. All repaired under warranty i have a 75k extended warrany.

Last edited:

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am only at 70k on my 06. I have no short term plans to change to an LR4. I am not really a fan of the exterior "bling" on the LR4 but I like the new motor.

More than likely I will keep the LR3 as my offroad vehicle when I am ready to get another. Then maybe get a RR or RRS as my daily driver.

As far as repairs: I had the front lower bushings done at 35k and then all of them done at close to 60k. Tranny torque converter seal went out at around 50k and recently a front diff seal was replaced and the rear diff failed. Truns out the rear diff halfshaft bearing was not seated well when made and it wore out. All repaired under warranty i have a 75k extended warrany.

Thanks Trynian.

Marty

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

Marty
Once I start to feel that my LR3 is unreliable I will absolutely be shopping for an LR4. Will likely be shopping for used one or end of year close-out as opposed to my LR3, which I bought new (first model year!).

I have been lurking on the LR4 board occasionally to see how you guys are doing with reliability. Seems like things are going well for you.

I would agree with the prior poster that I'd love it if they had a "less bling" version of the LR4, but we can only buy what they offer. Unless, of course, the new Defender comes to the U.S. market by the time I need a new car...
LandRover-defender-Concepts-1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72