19" offroadish tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an LR3 and the 18s you found are from an LR3 (and not like, a D2) then they will fit.
Yeah that's my concern, I have a LR3. It would be a 2 hour drive to go see them and it wouldn't be the greatest fun to burn up precious weekend time for the wrong rims. I stole the picture from the listing to see if that helps?
roverims.jpg

jwlitt1

Reaction score
I have been a fan of the Hankook Dynapro ATM. A bit more aggressive i think than the ones you're looking at but still ride very much like a street tire. Currently i have Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs on my LR3. Beast of a tire but a bit on the soft side so i'm seeing faster wear than i would like. Also are slightly louder if that's a concern.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Dynapros. Hankook tires have always worked well for me, good grip, well constructed and wear like iron. Why LR put 19's on is a mystery to me, especially when 18's are also a factory fit.

jwlitt1

Reaction score
Do you do a lot of highway miles?
Are you adamant about rotating?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's my concern, I have a LR3. It would be a 2 hour drive to go see them and it wouldn't be the greatest fun to burn up precious weekend time for the wrong rims. I stole the picture from the listing to see if that helps?View attachment 8265

Those look like LR3 rims. Ask the seller what vehicle they are from. I'm sure it's someone with an LR3 who wanted dubs.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you do a lot of highway miles?
Are you adamant about rotating?
More highway than offroad, my off roading is going to be fairly casual, but there is enough sand and mud in spots to warrant something better than street tires. And rotating is a half hour work in the garage, hardly enough for a beer, unless the wheels tend to seize to the hubs like the bride's Audi A4 does.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look like LR3 rims. Ask the seller what vehicle they are from. I'm sure it's someone with an LR3 who wanted dubs.
I did ask and they've come back with being from a 2008 LR3, which would be really good for me since that what I have. People don't always know for sure though, someone sold me BMW X5 rims that weren't from an X5 at all. I'm new to the modern Rover world and was actually surprised to find that D2 rims wouldn't fit a LR3.
I went through a similar scenario a good while back. My DD at the time was a Suzuki Sidekick Sport with 16" rims and at the time no off road tires in 16" but everything available in 15", but 15" rims didn't fit over the front calipers. My solution was to get out the angle grinder and remove some metal from the caliper. There was a "fin" kind of a bump, almost like they did that on purpose to keep people from going to 15"s. Installed Cooper Discoverys and the thing would scamper through or over most anything.

jwlitt1

Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of highway i would go with the Hankooks.
If most miles were done in town (like mine) then the wrangler Duratracs are ok. They just get a little louder on the highway. Not bad but still noticeable. They also have to be rotated like crazy to keep the wear even.
The LR3 won't give you troubles with the wheels sticking to the hubs.
It's the lug nuts you have to worry about.
The stupid aluminum caps swell making it so you can't get a 22mm socket on them. That with corrosion can make them a real bear to get off.
I just switched to gorilla nuts that are completely solid and couldn't be happier.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Trying to get find some more aggressive tires for the 19" HSE rims, leaning towards Hankook rw11 ipikes as we've had good results with those, what are you all doing for tires? Right nowvit's riding on a very road oriented tire, OK ish for now but don't trust them for winter and off road.
I’ve got a set of 18” wheels with off road tyres on. If it forecast snow I just switch my 19” rims for the 18” rims. 18” rims you have a much bigger choice of off road / snow tyres

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72