1995 LWB needs LT230Q, got one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JROST

Reaction score
1995 LWB needs LT230Q and installer. Got one?

My favorite vehicle needs a some attention wrt the VC. I like the idea of replacing it with the heavy duty LT230q transfer case. Can someone recommend a worthy shop/mechanic in Austin that has experience with the job....and possibly the part? I've recently moved from Santa Fe and wish I had the work done there as my mechanic had discos and other roveys just sitting around for parts. Is there a shop like that here in town? I've also heard about replacing the VC with the part from a Ashcroft-transmission for around $500 delivered. Any ideas on that prospect?

Thanks in advance for any help.

gt75024

Reaction score
Lt230

I've done the Borg-Warner to LT230 swap in my '89 RR myself and I think if anyone that has basic mechanical skills can do the job themselves. Just take it a step at a time and the end result will be rewarding.
Getting all the parts your going to need BEFORE starting the project is key.
And although it is a much stronger assembly than the chain driven BW, it does have some drawbacks - the primary one being that you have to manually lock it in as opposed to the ease of having the VC do the work for you.
I wound up spending a year in New Hampshire during it's last record snow fall, and wound up rebuilding my original BW case and installed a new VC from Ashcroft. It works perfectly as we came across several Disco owners with the LT230 that were less than happy with having to constantly lock their cases in and out as they needed them. And for the few that think that just leaving them engaged all the time is fine - it's not.

I may opt to reinstall the LT230 back in the truck, but only in I decide to go through with the 4.6 engine conversion.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go on the LRO and PM either Paul Grant, Will Tillery or PT Schram, one of them will have what you need.

JROST

Reaction score
gt75024, was the part(s) from Ashcroft the way to go because of the cost? I've seen it around in the US for about $950, twice as much as I thought it was from Aschroft...where I read someone had gotten one delivered for $500 plus shipping.

I'm not off roading much and the VC has lasted a ridiculously long time so I am inclined to just go with the VC.

Also, did you (need to) rebuild the xfer case with seals and a new chain.
Was the work done with the xfer case sill attached to the vehicle.

My RR LWB has 216,000 miles, runs strong...and drips oil slowly...The VC is not dead but dieing a slow death...I am not driving it because of that fact.

Thanks Mike for your reply as well.

JROST

Reaction score
Mike, is that LRO, LandRoverOwner International?

gt75024

Reaction score
T-case

JROST - Yes, Ashcroft is the way to go because they know everything you need to know about these things, the fact that youd save hundreds by buying from them is a bonus. From the homework I did before deciding to get into it myself showed that most of the places that sell parts for these units actually get them from Ashcroft !

My BW absolutely need re-building, the chain was so worn and loose that it would slip trying to go up a slight incline. My VC worked fine (392,000 miles) , but I wasnt about to go through all the trouble of going all through the case and not put in a fresh one.

I know you can change out the VC while still in the truck, I helped a friend do it on his, for me it wasn't an option, mine came out for the initial LT230 swap.

I also serviced mine with Royal Purple.

Good luck.

JROST

Reaction score
VC replaced.

OK. I got the VC from Ashcroft last week. Ordered Thurday, arrived Monday. Very efficient way to go. I found someone to help install...the xfer box didn't leave vehicle. Unbolted the front drive shaft. Took about 1.5 hours from start to finish cleanup.
I presume I'll have to go back and replace the chain internal but until that time, is there a problem if the chain in rattling a little? If it breaks, other than being stranded, is it going to get tangled in the gears and foul the xfer-case if it does?

Anyone see that before?

gt75024

Reaction score
A BW Transfer case will go a long way with a rattling chain, but think about what it's rattling against. It's rattling against an aluminum case - grinding it's way into it and making tiny little bit of metal that are contaminating the oil and getting into everything else inside of it. At least change your oil regularly if your going to choose to live with a loose chain for a while. I've never heard of a chain breaking under "normal" use. Mine had gotten so bad that it just jumped over the sprockets to the point where in wouldn't move with the slightest bit of acceleration.
And don't let a chain replacement intimidate you, it's all about taking a step at a time, going slow, and paying attention to the details.

gt75024

Reaction score
A BW Transfer case will go a long way with a rattling chain, but think about what it's rattling against. It's rattling against an aluminum case - grinding it's way into it and making tiny little bit of metal that are contaminating the oil and getting into everything else inside of it. At least change your oil regularly if your going to choose to live with a loose chain for a while. I've never heard of a chain breaking under "normal" use. Mine had gotten so bad that it just jumped over the sprockets to the point where in wouldn't move with the slightest bit of acceleration.
And don't let a chain replacement intimidate you, it's all about taking a step at a time, going slow, and paying attention to the details.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4