20 inch wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caterpa

Reaction score
New poster here. Im probaly buyimg in the next few days to weeks

I'm curious to what evryones opinions are regarding the 20 inch wheels and Perelli tires.

Any downside to them?

specifically

off road
tire wear
On road ride etc...?

I certainly like the look but I want to be sure its the right decision before spending the 2500 dollars they are asking for them.

Any input would be appreciated!

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20" is too big and the tires are too low profile for off road. The 19" the only AT tire I can find is Pirelli Scorpion ATR so there aren't a whole lot of options. Someone posted on this forum about some 18" wheels that will fit.

di_s_henry

Reaction score
That is the current set up I have on my rig. It was what the rig I chose came with - so I did not specifically request the 20", getting the HD package was my main driver.

I have been doing a lot of off roading (almost every weekend since I got "Henry" at the end of January 2011). Probably the highest rated trail I've done was around a 3 out of 5.

the tires are at 38/42 - if I decided to air down, around 33/34 seems to be a good point. But generally I don't bother to air down.

W/the 20" rims - you have to be more careful about rocks, bumps etc that you would if you had a tire that had more 'airdown' abilities. Yes, you will ding up your rims - but then again, I've seen LR3s w/18" that also have dinged up rims too.

I've been lucky that I don't take my rig out w/out guys from our local Land Rover club - they watch out for my "Henry" and spot me through more difficult obstacles.

Overall I think we have all been surprised at how well Henry has done w/the 20" and pirellis. The pirellis also make for a smooth on-road ride. Initially I was in a rush to replace the set with 18" compo rims & nittos - but decided in the scheme of things, I would rather spend the money on rock slides and other more important off road accessories.

Having said all of that - if you are considering buying a rig that has the set up already on it - it's not a bad thing. If you are ok w/damage to your rims - it will serve you quite adequately in the majority of trail runs. Normally the limiting factor for me on whether or not to do a trail is if I might incur body damage, not if my tires will hold up.

if you have the stock 19" and are looking to swap out the set out - then I would go with the 18" compo rims w/nittos (or similar) as both options will set you back at least $2500.

Hope that helps..:albertein

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we have covered this in a couple of other threads; at least with the 20" wheels you can find better tires than with the 19" wheels. There are truely only a few tires that will fit the 19" wheel. If you are willing to go up in size, it opens up a lot of extra tire options.

Rob

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we have covered this in a couple of other threads; at least with the 20" wheels you can find better tires than with the 19" wheels. There are truely only a few tires that will fit the 19" wheel. If you are willing to go up in size, it opens up a lot of extra tire options.

Rob

This is very true! I just thought $2500 for 20" wheels was expensive. This is the reason why, if you get the 19's you can spend 2500 on a nicer package with better tires! Look on ebay for 20 inch Range rover wheels, then get a nice all terrian tire. For about the same price you'll have a set of 19's and nice set of 20's with the tire of your choice that is better suited for trail use.

Caterpa

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think I'm getting the 20 inch wheels from the start as that's the one they have on the lot in the colr I want in Santorini Black Lux.

Getting a good deal I think at 6% off MSRP!

I'll post again once I take delivery if all goes as planned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM