2001 disco 2 whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ayavner

good morning, hope somone can assist. There is a high-pitched whining coming (in general) from the engine area - either while at idle or while driving. The whining increases in pitch with engine speed (again, while parked or driving). Seems to go down once i get past about 45 mph. Since it increases with RPM, i am led to believe it must be something that is driven by the belt - a pump or something. The noise doesn't change with steering input, and steering is OK, so maybe not power steering. What about the ACE pump? is it normal for it to make this noise? Are there any other pumps or devices on the belt that would do this? It definitely sounds hydraulic (as opposed to water or oil), but thats just a guess.

opinions? Thanks! :confused:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be a bad alternator or other ground interfering with the radio? Try turning the radio off and report back here as to whether or not it remains...

A

ayavner

Hi there... it does remind me of that sound (back when you had to put a capacitor on the distributor to filter the noise). but... this is with the sound system turned off. You can hear it with the hood up from outside, but its real hard to pinpoint.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be one of my children standing near your truck?......Hang on, let me do a head count.....1-2......(peeking around corner) 3, wait I appear to be missing one...no, there she is! All accounted for! On a serious note, condition of belt? How is your PS fluid? ACE has it's own pump? Cool! I'm totally unfamiliar with the mechanical parts of the ACE system. All I know about it is from occasional glances under D2's, & that's only when the soccer mom's aren't lookin' @ me all weird, like I'm stalkin' em or something! Not a very friendly bunch, even when their broke down. Try to introduce yourself & they point their cell phone @ you like a gun and start screaming"Help is on the way! Help is on the way! snobs! I would guess that my D1 & myself are so ugly & offensive compard to the soccer mom's their reaction is understandable. Sorry for falling off the subject, but could the ACE pump power a MM hydraulic winch? I'm not buying one or nothing, just wondering about other uses for pump. (Like possibly that much sought after "Ginnywine Serengeti Elephant Hunt roof rack w/grocery bag loader") Or maybe a built-in 4 point hydraulic hi-lift jacking system,w/hydra-adjustable feet for off-road & maintenence! Thank You, LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get some metal stick, or long screwdriver or crowbar. With engine running try to place it around on non moving surfaces (top of alternator is good start) and hold other end next to yer ear.
That will help to locate noise.

Typical causes - idle pulley bearing, alternator, water pump.

A

ayavner

LRW - dunno bout the ACE pump and the winch... seems kinda smallish... hehehe have to get me one o' them Serengheti grocery loaders... NOT... anyway... it does seem to me to be a noise a hydraulic pump would make, weird that it seems to go away after i get up to 45mph or so, and it definitely seems more pronounced when its cool out. Know what you mean about the soccer moms... should be a law...

Sergei... thanks, i will try this... used to use a long rubber hose wtih the Jag and MG, I guess the same logic applies.

So as far as I can tell, this is not a common enough thing or at least not normal? I don't mind a bit of road noise, but this is loosening the fillings from my teeth!

thanks,

adam

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lonnie, did you have too much coffee this morning? :biggrin:

I seriously doubt the ACE pump will power much of anything beyond the ACE system. IIRC, you can get a "boosted" power steering pump that'll run a winch, but that's a whole lot more complicated than electric.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread :smile:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whining isnt normal. Hoose wont really work well as LR engine is pretty noisy and transferring sound over solid body is better. Thats how Bach used to listen to his music when got nearly completely deaf.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, Doc, 12 oz. of coffee is all I'm allowed! Thank You, LRW.

A

ayavner

Yeah, but you are supposed to mix it with hot water first!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo