2001 disco 2 whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch.

And, by the way, that is a great signature line! :biggrin:

A

ayavner

Thanks Andy!

err... can you elaborate re the fan clutch? What you think?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminium round blob that engine driven fan bolts onto. With shorty fins on it.

A

ayavner

errr.... yes... by "elaborate", i meant if someone could explain more about it, what might cause this part to make this noise based on my description, basically picking your brains. Thanks.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything with a bearing has the potential to go bad...so the fan-clutch is a definite candidate. I still reccommend following Sergei's advise....a hose to the misc. parts, and the other end to your ear. This process will eliminate lots of guess-work. After a few diagnoses like this, we'll be asking YOU for advise! Hang in there Adam....all will go well!.

A

ayavner

Thanks to all, i will definitely start with Sergei's advice (although can i get close enough to the fan clutch without lopping something off??). One thing that i keep coming back to is that its most prevalent in the cool mornings. I willl update the thread as I get more into it. Thanks again!!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam, fan clutch is rotating on the water pump pulley..

You cant really listen to it properly as its moving part.

In fact it wont really whine/squeal either. If it goes bad then it either wont engage your engine driven fan at all, or will keep it engaged all the time. Thats about it.

A

ayavner

is there any mechanism on this forum by which I could post a sound file easily? I don't have one yet, but i could make a recording of it.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save it in a ZIP file, and post as an attachment ("Manage Attachments" in the advanced message menu). Others can then download it and listen before posting responses.

Not sure why exactly, but the board doesn't appear to allow attaching sound files.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - it wont allow attachment of other than pictures so no one can hook up nasty scripts / executables. Overwise php will try to get them open, executed & etc..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo