2001 Discovery Diagnostic Codes / transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d2dave

Reaction score
2001 Land Rover Discovery 128K miles and 4.0L V8 engine

I have a Service Engine Soon light on and the diagnostic codes are as follows

P1590 Maint Contrl Vehicle Speed aux inputs
P0171 Sys to Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 Sys to Lean (Bank 2)
P0733 gear 3 ratio incorrect
P1174 mnf cntrl fuel air metering

I also have the three amigos! My understanding is that the pads could be worn and needing replacement... thats on the to do list once it warms up... the pedal seems to go pretty low so it would make sense...

I just have had the head gasket replaced including head machined, sleeves checked for spec. I replaced the radiator, upper hose and thermostat my self. This past weekend I replaced the water pump, which i got for $70 vs the dealer $330!... it was leaking through the weep hole...

I had a little issue getting the trans fluid cooler lines to fit (there must be a trick to these buggers) so I lost a fair amount of fluid on a test run becasue the pressure blew off the fitting ... there was some fluid loss to the point that the gears did not work! Okay so I got under it ... and pumped in 5 quarts of of trans fluid and the tranny was okay... Perhaps this fluid was low already? is there a method to check this fluid?

The Deicer has been bypassed in the coolant flow... so the reservoir bottle line goes directly to the top of the head...

any thoughts on the diagnostic codes or good weay to check the trans fluid...
i did the trans fluid by myself but it was difficult to shift through the gears while idlinig and the get below vehicle while running to keep filling ... is there an easier way?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1590 is a ABS/Rough Road fault code.
The other code indicate your MAF has failed.
Make sure when you buy one, you don't buy an after market one but brand new Bosch in a Rover box. Too many of the after market or generic ones fail when plugged in.
When replaced, all the other codes will go away.

d2dave

Reaction score
code 4th gear bad ratio is coming up now

I am concerned about how to measure the transmission fluid,,, i want to be sure i have enough in there... are these gear ratio code related to fluid level in transmission? it apprears the air box is damage as the clips ar missing between the airbox and the mass air flow meter and the connection between the two show slight gap

thanks for all of your help

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112