2004 Discovery Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Eiler

Reaction score
2004 Discovery G4 will not start. When key is turned to position 1, dash lights come on, then when turned to start, nothing happens and all dash lights go off. Subsequent start attempts yield absolutely nothing...no dash lights, no solenoid clicking, nothing! Found that disconnecting then reconnecting the battery resulted in a normal start, i.e. not a bad battery. Suspected a possible problem with the security system, and have left the vehicle unlocked, and it starts up every time. Is there a possible problem with the security system that is locking out the ignition? Just ran out of extended warranty, so would appreciate any advice before going to the dealer!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Either a security issue, or a bad connection at the battery or corrosion in the fuse box.

Jim Eiler

Reaction score
Thanks Joey! Definitely not a bad battery connection...worked that issue first. Saw something online about the security system regarding getting the key fob re-programmed as well as other problems with the security system. Anybody have any problems like this?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to have your FOB reprogrammed, you have either a failing ignition switch of a bad/dirty connection that shorts the system when you attempt to start the engine.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't start

2004 Discovery Won't Start

2004 Discovery G4 will not start. When key is turned to position 1, dash lights come on, then when turned to start, nothing happens and all dash lights go off. Subsequent start attempts yield absolutely nothing...no dash lights, no solenoid clicking, nothing! Found that disconnecting then reconnecting the battery resulted in a normal start, i.e. not a bad battery. Suspected a possible problem with the security system, and have left the vehicle unlocked, and it starts up every time. Is there a possible problem with the security system that is locking out the ignition? Just ran out of extended warranty, so would appreciate any advice before going to the dealer!

Hi Jim:

Basically a ditto with Joey’s and Mike’s comments, there just isn’t enough info here to really pin point the exact issue, and I concur with Mike’s bad dirty connection theory, however with the information at hand both are plausible.

Intermittent connections are usually the cause of this issue either in ground wiring or power side. Having this same exact situation with identical symptoms I found a poor connection in the crimp of eye terminal of the 4 gauge battery cable at the starter solenoid. When the cable was moved by disconnecting it from battery it was just enough motion to provide a fair enough connection for one start. { Try wiggling the cable without removing it and see if it work, it's called a wiggle test. } This allowed enough current for one start to pass through the poor connection before thermally disconnecting the circuit like a fuse, This is where I think Mike hit it right on. When it happened to my vehicle, sometimes different systems would appear on the dash as trouble codes, DHD, TC, ABS, Check engine, security etc. as well.

All I did to resolve this issue was replace the positive battery cable, replaced ground cable and engine strap grounding cables. I also made sure there was a good connection between the fuse box and battery, and changed the fuse box cable supply wire from 10 ga. to 8 ga. Never had an issue since. I actually made all my cables, I prefer to do my own crimping for some reason…..lol

I realize this may, or may not be your case, but with your post so similar to my issue, I thought it may help.

Best wishes …………………….. Chongo
:bandit:

sa13

Reaction score
i found a broke engine strap!would that cause my engine misfire??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA