2005 LR3 rear hatch will not open.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrgreen5859

Reaction score
2005 LR3 rear hatch will not open, the lock is not getting any power according to the LR dealer. They have now started tracing the wire to see where it is split; they have torn apart the LR from the hatch to the front doors on both sides and still have not found anything. They are now going to start pulling panels off the dash. They have had the LR3 for nearly two days and the bill is $700 bucks and I still have no clue what is wrong with it. They are saying that all electrical is outside of the ext warranty that we have with LR so we are paying for every minute while they find something. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? :mad:

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a quick search around the forum; I believe most issues of this nature where due to a physical cable snap (ie, not electrical), but it has occured to a few people.

Also, which warranty do you have? If it's the LandRover Assured warranty, the electrical system should be included, unless they can show the fault is do to corrosion/rust - regardless of which one you have, check the warranty wording - "all electrical" sounds like a pretty large omission...

(PS, I've had electrical items covered under my LR Assured Warranty - technically I'm in Canada, but the LR Assured is adminstered by EasyCare adjusters in Atlanta, Georgia).

jrgreen5859

Reaction score
Thanks i did do a couple of searches, but just as you indicated most were cable inside the hatch issues not power to the switch. I have a warranty thru LR that i bought at the dealer that took us to 100k miles, not sure of the exact wording becasue i have the paperwork in the glove box of the LR3. But i will push back once they figure out what the heck is wrong with it, seems crazy to me that it has taken almost two whole days to take the car apart and trace the wires!

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check that wording - I had an entire stereo replaced, and I know a couple of people who had window regulators done. I believe that LR only offers "exclusionary" warranties, which indicate that absolutely everything is covered except those items that are specifically listed (ie, "exclusions"). Some dealer do sell other warranties, so it's possible that you got a non-LR branded warranty and it may or may not be exclusionary.

I was also able to claim back a small warranty item after my wife paid for some work (tire had a slow leak and was repaired on our LR Freelander) which was actually covered. I pointed out the coverage in the warranty and the dealership reimbursed me.

Good luck!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently LR offers different levels of coverage with only Platinum as the full exclusionary policy. If true, experiences such as this are why I say money spent on a money-saving listed items only policy often is money wasted since something not listed invariably breaks and causes more aggravation than was worth the amount of savings for having purchased a limited coverage plan. Check to see if you have the full boat exclusionary coverage or not.

jrgreen5859

Reaction score
We have the Land Rover Assured and it will not cover corrosion of the wire, the wire was corroded up and underneath the drivers footwell. The guy i spoke with didn't know exactly where. My wife drives this vehicle and it is never had water in it in the foot area except for the occasional snowy feet or we boots. But nothing to cause the weire to corrode, $1k out the window! This truck has been a nightmare since the start the issues have been: one front and one rear differentials replaced, passanger side seat airbag warning sensors replaced, transmition issues, oxygen sensor failed, random warning lights from suspension and engine, tie rod ends and ball joints up front. She loves how this car feels, she feels safe in it, but enough is enough.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If "Assured" is what you're calling a certified, previously owned car with 2 yrs coverage, I bet that is limited, items only coverage. You buy the car retail with this plan, and it is limited with much less coverage than factory but it give you something beyond the factory expiration period. The cost of a CPO car includes this, but usually savvy buyers can find a car privately and add full boat exclusionary coverage for up to four additional years for the same money or less than a retail car. As this experience illustrates, CPO cars of most marques are not necessarily better than a private party or off-lease auction car - you takes your chances and the dealer is no more behind the used car than is the man on the Moon, in many cases (except that the man on the Moon might have done more to inspect and fix typical problems before selling a used car since he knows you and looks at you every night!).

jrgreen5859

Reaction score
LR Assured is the name of the extended warr that we bought thru the LR dealer and we did buy this car new but extended the warranty since it was in the shop so many times.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I still have not seen such a contract, but it does not sound like an exclusionary policy if somehow it fails to cover this repair. Must have been or is still sold with different levels of coverage, but I can't imagine that a corrosion exclusion exists that LR is relying upon when a good dealer will usually write up the repair so it garners coverage rather than helping you lose coverage. But, if the wire corroded prematurely something else caused that and not regular wear and tear, if that's the purported exclusion, and I would challenge it by identifying that deficiency and insisting that it become the covered failure. It all depends upon the full language of your contract, so I'm just spouting and will stop now. G'night.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR Assured contract was renamed to LR Exclusionary a year or two ago (at least in Canada) - it's still sold by my local dealer as LR Assured. The rust & corrosion exclusion is in place (I believe it's the second last exclusion, IIRC), but most dealers are usually pretty good about finding their way around it - just as mustbeaudi indicated. Further, I'm having a hard time believing that the wiring inside the vehicle is actually corroded right through, though I suppose it could be 4 years old.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635