2005 Truck Trend Ultimate 4x4 Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sierragirl

Grommet,

Thanks for the article. I sent it to my dad, since he helped me buy my truck. He says that he's glad I got such a versatile vehicle, but that I'll never use a fraction of its abilities. If I won't, I guess most other owners won't either. But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy my LR3 knowing what it can do. Of course he says that any of the trucks in the comparison test would meet my needs so I paid too much and I really could have gotten a jeep cherokee for cheaper. Does anyone else think that they have "too much" car with their LR3? My dad needs some convincing about this.

N

Nomad232

I think "you got what you paid for" sums its up pretty well. It takes a certain type of person to truly appreciate every aspect of a Land Rover. If your not, then you probably think your money would have been better spent on a Navigator or Escalade *yuck*. Anyway, don't worry about what your dad thinks. As long as you enjoy it thats all that matters. If your truely concerned lend him the LR3 for a camping trip or something outdoorsy with some trails. Be warned you may never get it back if he has the Land Rover Gene.

Nomad

U

UnbrknCh8n

sierragirl said:
Grommet,

... Of course he says that any of the trucks in the comparison test would meet my needs so I paid too much and I really could have gotten a jeep cherokee for cheaper. Does anyone else think that they have "too much" car with their LR3? My dad needs some convincing about this.

Like someone said, what he thinks really doesn't matter. That same argument could be used to say that a person doesn't really *need* a Porsche because they will never drive it 130 mph or race it on a track, so they should have just gotten a Kia.

Having said that, I have found the off road capabilities of the LR3 to be very useful. I'm not a hard-core off road enthusiast like some in this forum. However, in my pursuit of wlld trout I have taken my LR3 on some roads which not be passable by a stock Jeep Cherokee. I have also been able to navigate snow and ice conditions (utilizing Terrain Response) in a safer manner than I could have in most other trucks (this is very important to me because I rolled and totalled my last truck in an ice storm).

So, we all make our own decisions (just call me "master of the obvious"). But I can't put a price on the feeling of being in an extraordinarily capable, safe, and cool truck, yet one which still meets my family's needs.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep does not seat 7 people in complete comfort. I've had a new grand cherokee as a rental -- nice truck no doubt, but I still prefer the LR3.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what the Commander is for in Jeep's line... the 7 seater. Though the 3rd row is more of a joke than a real seat; Explorer has a better one.

W

wannarover

Hello folks new to the forums. I own an '02 Grand Cherokee. I do "wheel" in it on occasion. Especailly when I travel to the "wilds" of Wisconsin. I have been a huge fan of Land Rover. I have been thinking of purchasing either the LR3 or Range Rover Sport. Of course I have considered the new Grand Cherokee's and the Commander. The Commander is much roomier than the Grands, but the third row seats are a joke unlike the LR3's. Other than the price difference, they seem capable off-road. But the LR3 is more responsive than the Grands on road. I wasn't too sure about the four wheel independant suspension until I saw it in action. The word WOW comes to mind. Very clever system and suspension. My main concern would be reliablity and maintenance cost.
Land Rover I believe has since changed the electrical system and went with BOSCH when BMW had them. Another concern. I have heard that LR has had electrical problems for awhile.
I look forward to reading more in the forums.
Cheers from Chicago.

C

capthook

wannarover said:
Land Rover I believe has since changed the electrical system and went with BOSCH when BMW had them. Another concern. I have heard that LR has had electrical problems for awhile.

What problems with the electrical system did you hear about? In my thoughts, anything made by Bosch is pretty universal and prob. used on a host of other vehicles besides the LR, making it a pretty well tested system. Buuuuut... the LR II, III do have LOTs of electronic goodies :p Going from Lucas to Bosch HAS to be an improvement IMO; & I personally cannot attribute any problems I read about in the forums to the actual Bosch electrical system, but as always - there are kinks in every design so I'm open to hearing examples of Bosch electrical failures

S

sierragirl

Thanks, guys. I let dad drive Butch recently and even tho he grumbled about how much it cost compared to his grand cherokee, he asked to borrow it sometime! He says it has more room than his cherokee and he likes the seats better. I think I'll let him wait awhile. :)

N

Nomad232

Just make sure you tie a short rope from the Rover to your finger. My "Donna Karan" girlfriend took my truck to Houston to transport some bulky stuff, since then camping hasn't been guys weekend out. :\ I guess anyone can have the ROVERGENE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM