Blinking headlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 drivers side headlight is blinking on/off at 100k mi. The replacement process looks well thought out and doesn't require tools. Pretty nice, although I haven't replaced the bulbs yet lol. Search results were showing people with bad bulbs. I was going with the Sylvania D3S linked here and replace both bulbs.

The window sticker says it has Xeon lamps and according to the service manual I need D3S Xeon. I found this one at my local parts store but it is 12 volt and the manual is saying the Xeon system generates 28,000 volts so I guess it isn't generating that much voltage through the bulb socket. Its also saying to use gloves, goggles, don't touch the bulb and don't do the R&R when the headlights are on. Are corrective glasses good enough? Why are they saying to use goggles?

TquWwuK.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D3S are the correct bulbs. Osram makes the best and brightest. Extremely easy to replace. Replace both the left and right at the same time.

Goggles are probably recommended if you fudge up and the bulb explodes or something. My guess is that goggles are recommended for every job that involves some measure of glass.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The job appears to be tooless so I'm looking forward to doing the bulb swaps. The Osram bulbs sound good, it looks like an online purchase I didn't find them at OReillys.

scapistron

Reaction score
Headlight design is really nice on these. Pop the grill off, slide the two tabs up and the whole unit pops out. Don't lose the rubber on the back of the unit.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darn, I've always tried to wedge my hand behind the unit to get the bulbs in, didn't realize I could hit the easy button. Next time the crappy halogens burn out! Or maybe I'll finally get the Xenons...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going through my headlight saga (posted elsewhere), I've had my headlight housings out way more times than I can count.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Having a similar situation on my 2012. My son pulled in the driveway last night and I noticed the drivers side headlight was out... After dinner I went outside to check it out, and when I started the car, it worked fine. This morning, when he went to school, the light came on when he started the car, but after about 1 minute of it warming up, it went out. Not sure if I would call that "blinking", but does that sound similar to what you experienced? Hoping the repair is just a bulb swap and not something electrical.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend changing both at the same time... Why? BC they then burn out at the same or similar time. Ask my wife how we know.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Al Pizzica , interesting. That has never happened to me.

Despite the theme of installing the brightest bulbs possible, I typically don’t. The reason is the brightest intense white bulbs actually provide little “***********” in inclement weather like snow, rain, fog and a lot more reflection.

** Added gripe: The website stripped out the word P E N E T R A T I O N!? Are you kidding me?! Grow up.

For that reason, I’m also experimenting with the fog lightbulbs. I currently have yellow…. but is there a better choice?
Cheers All.
Guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72