2006-2007 GPS DVD Update - 1791 Hack Found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliCruiser

Reaction score
I really enjoy the hack, though I don't use it often. It's especially useful (AND SAFE, for all you lawyers reading this) to have the front passenger using the NAV.

I really hope LR doesn't automatically uprade the .KWI file the next time I bring my car in for service. That would **** me off.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No chance of that... they won't give you a free updated map disc. :smile:

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the directions how to create a disc have been working well for everyone? The 1791 is def one of the best things that ever happened to the Land Rover Nav.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, in fact the "try before you buy" downloadable version of PowerISO is good enough to burn the modified image of the dual layer disc "on the fly"; You don't even need to shell out the dough for the DVD burning software (unless you want to save the modified image - minus the loading.kwi file - on your hard drive, in which case you will have to register and buy the full version.)

T

tmil01

Created a new Nav DVD on my Mac...

I don't have a PC with a DL DVD burner. But my MacBook Pro has one. So I decided to give angasreid's method a try. Sure enough, I have successfully burned a new DVD on my Mac. Here's how I did it:

Requirements:
  • Intel Mac w/DL DVD Burner
  • Parallels Desktop (lets you run Windows on a PC) Note: Bootcamp will probably work here too.
  • Windows 98 or higher
  • PowerISO (Windows only)

Instructions:

1. First of all, you need to get Parallels (with Windows) installed and running on your Mac. Just follow the directions they give you: http://www.paralells.com
  2. Make sure in Parallels you set up a shared folder on your Mac hard drive. Again, you can refer to the Parallels instructions on how to do that.
  3. Next, download PowerISO onto your VM in Parallels. You can either do what umbertob suggested, or buy it (it's a cool program): http://www.poweriso.com
  4. Copy your 2006-2007 Nav DVD with PowerISO, but save the ISO image to the shared folder you made in the step above (you access it from the icon on your Windows Desktop called "Parallels Shared Folders").
  5. Edit the ISO like angasreid's instructions say.
  6. Go to the Shared Parallels folder on your Mac, and double-click the ISO file you made with PowerISO. It should mount on your Mac Desktop.
  7. On your Mac, open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.
  8. In Disk Utility, you should see the ISO icon in the left column. Select the main ISO icon (not the one under it), and hit burn.
  9. Insert a blank DL DVD, and let 'er rip.

That should do it. Good luck fearless Mac users! :biggrin:

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also run parallels on my MacBook Pro. But in order to do so you have to have an intel processor, basically a newer mac. So as long as your mac is intel-based, tmil's step should work fine. I'll try messing around with my MacBook to see how to rip it and burn a NAV DVD in OS X.

T

tmil01

Had to use Disk Utility because PowerISO wouldn't burn to a DL DVD on the Parallels side. I even tried Sony DL's like you had mentioned. Not sure why it didn't work.

CoreyS

Reaction score
FYI, I got the nav disc "backup" to work on a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc. I did have some problems, however, resulting in a few coasters.

I used PowerISO to rip the ISO from the new nav disc, then removed the LOADING.KWI file, and saved the new ISO file. When it came to burning, however, I could not get a successful burn with either PowerISO or ImgBurn (freeware). PowerISO wouldn't burn at all, and ImgBurn was get stuck at the "sync" step at the end of the burn. I use ImgBurn all the time to backup movies on non-DL discs, tho. Note, this was in Vista Ultimate x64, with the latest Samsung Lightscribe DVD burner.

I tried again today on my office workstation, which has XP Pro x64. I tried performing all steps in PowerISO, and again had a failure during the burn. This time, however, it would get about 61% of the way into the burn, then fail. I think this about when it is switching layers. Not sure tho. I updated my burner firmware (NEC 3550A), same failure. Tried ImgBurn again, and presto! I now have a succesful backup with 1791 still enabled.

Thanks to angasreid for the guide!

wolve001

Reaction score
New 2007 RRS

Ok, so I have been reading threads until my eyes have crossed all because I couldn't get my damn Nav system to allow me to input while driving to St Louis for Christmas. I called the local LR Service dept and they said they still don't have the EU upgrade for the Nav (which to me means it's a lawyer not a logistics thing). So I already have the most up to date NAV which means no hack. And no, I don't know squat about ISO (hey, I run sales and marketing, I usually have the IT help desk for that kind of stuff :biggrin:). What's a guy to do? I mean is the nav disk something I can get to and burn without the kwi?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't clear, if you already have the new (bypass blocked) Navigation software... you can't downgrade the software. The modified disc is to prevent the upgrade being done on older vehicles. Sorry, there is no 'fix'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112