2006 LR3 with over 200K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote, I completely agree. I drove Honda Accords in the 80's and early 90's because they were fun, all mine had a manual transmission and would go 150K miles with basic maintenance. Then they became boring transportation appliances so I switched to Audi. My '96 A4 build quality was terrible but I loved the way it drove. '98 A4 was better and I learned that I was willing to accept the problems of European cars because they were just more fun and had character. My '02 allroad needed constant repairs but I still loved it. Q7 was great until we moved to a town with a drive-on beach so I bought my first Land Rover. I expected all sorts of issues based on their consistent last-place JD Power quality rating and I was willing to accept that. But our LR3 has been so reliable that I ordered a 2013 LR4 to replace my '04 allroad. (Pick it up tomorrow!) Most people buy a Land Rover knowing they may have issues, but the driving experience is more important. If you want a SUV transportation appliance, get a Honda Pilot.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have had several land rovers with the most mileage/experience being with a 1996 Discovery, and 2004 Discovery, and the LR3 all of which I still have and enjoy.

I also have a 2008 Audi S4 and 08 BMW 535 wagon. The most trouble free so far has been the Audi at 64,000 miles so far so it's still early. The BMW is at 87,000 miles (owned since 29,000) and has had a few common things fail and fixed under cpo warranty with one item being the Engine Control Module! Resulting flatbed ride home was not enjoyable.
So, the LR3 with 70,000 now, has been less reliable than the Audi and I'd say similar to the BMW. My 2004 Discovery just had a $4000 bill...... hvac control panel, transmission thingy, and some custom work, general maintenance. I feel way more annoyed with spending roughly 30% vehicle value on the 04 but then again, it's been paid off for a long time so overall, I see the cost benefit of having a big service bill every other year or three vs paying $500-$1000 / month car payments while under a warranty.

At least with a paid off vehicle, and the lr3 has been paid off for a few years too, while it sits mostly unused, it costs hardly anything to keep while a new car costs you every month regardless of use.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a SUV transportation appliance, get a Honda Pilot.

I would be bored out of my mind in a Honda, but the Land Cruiser has always been a favorite non-European choice.

I briefly had a 100 series, 2006. It was pretty sweet coming from only knowing the 04 Discovery, but then I checked out the cargo and seating design for the LR3 and it's versatile air suspension and was so enamored I dropped the LC and got the LR3.

For cargo and hauling versatility, there is absolutely no competition in any vehicle currently in the world. I do mean versatility because some are bigger(Sequoia/Armada), longer (Land Cruiser/MB GL), taller and boxy (G wagen, Disco 2), more compact (Honda Element?) etc but none are the amazing mix of function the LR3/4 has while also still being quite capable off road.
So, I this is why I still have mine despite all the complaining :bandit:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest, your 2008 S4 will be very reliable for many years/miles to come. I put 160K miles on my 2006 A4 avant with a 3.2. Only repair was the glove box hinge. Just basic maintenance, 3 sets of brakes and still had the original clutch. All B7 Audis have amazing reliability.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That car is so fun to drive, it would be worth it even to have a few issues.

Will you be keeping both lr3 and 4? You picked it up this weekend. I trust you are enjoying the extra power.

I've considered returning my lr3 to stock and giving it to my mom, then using my equipment to build an lr4 but would love to see a new engine come like the sc v6 or obviously an unlikely diesel.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had planned to trade the LR3 in on the LR4 and keep my 2004 allroad. But the 2008 LR3 value was just $18K. The KBB value for my allroad is $5600 but I sold it for $12K. It just made more sense to keep the LR3 since it is 4 years newer than the allroad, has 20K less miles on it and has been more reliable. Yes, the extra 75 HP in the LR4 is nice, feels more like our old 4.2 Q7. May eventually trade the LR3 on something smaller, maybe a Q5 RS.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635