2006 LR3 with over 200K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those sliders? They don't look like the factory "nerf bars" nor do they look like any slider I've seen on the market.

Hmmm....that is a ton of miles for a 2006 vehicle; if those are indeed sliders and this particular rig has seen more than just highway miles, that would be...impressive.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that is making my decision a little easier. Our new LR4 arrives next week and I can't decide if I should trade the LR3 or keep it and sell my allroad. I think the LR3 is a much more reliable vehicle based on my experience with two allroads. Nice to see more high mileage LR3s that are still going.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen these with north of 250k, that just need regular maintenance and some wear items replaced.

If taken care of, and issues that arise taken care of properly, these are extremely reliable.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen these with north of 250k, that just need regular maintenance and some wear items replaced.

If taken care of, and issues that arise taken care of properly, these are extremely reliable.

Would you say $4000 worth of extended warranty claims in the 18 months after the base warranty time period ended, is "extremely reliable" ? I don't think so.

I've had every single failure addressed "taken care of properly" and immediately as well as early oil changes even if just to have tech eyes on the vehicle more often to catch anything.

I got a new radiator, some shifting mechanism thingy, hvac compressor or something like that.

Last week a new air compressor, engine thermostat, rear strut dust boot.

Vehicle is an 07 with only 70,000 miles and has never been abused off road or on road. As proof of how easy on vehicles I am, my brake rotors lasted 65,000 miles and that's with 1000 lbs of kit.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of times technicians will look for things to 'repair', as honestly an oil change by itself is not worth the time it takes to do it, properly. The whole reason dealerships and all shops advertise low priced oil changes is to get someone in the door, so they can upsell work, many places will actually lose money on the oil change itself.

Yeah, $4k seems like a lot, but how much of that stuff that was 'repaired' did you take it in to have repaired for an issue? No car on the road is perfect, there is always something that can be fixed. Honestly, with that kind of record, I would be weary of using that repair facility once your warranty is gone.

That said, they are not cheap to repair, I never said it was a honda. The repairs that they need are pricey, the parts that need to be replaced are pricey as well. But in the grand scheme of things, the failures that they do have are pretty common, so easy to know what you're getting into, and most of the issues are progressive, so if checked out by a (honest and knowledgeable) tech, you should be ok spacing everything out.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please don't try to question the legitimacy. ALL of the warranty repairs were failures bringing up screen codes or obvious changes in the vehicle seen by me first. Such as not shifting very well then not at all, no AC, recharged, then no AC, again, and again. Then suspension fault after old compressor was just on way more than it should be, etc.

I hear what you are saying about "trying to find" issues, but that is not the case here.

Your comment on the repair facility is completely unfounded. These failures occur without regard to location. With all due respect, I don't think it's cool to suggest on an open forum that my repair shop, no matter who it was, is somehow to blame for the above failures or somehow failing to notice them earlier. In fact, some items not mentioned were covered under warranty that I really should have paid for out of pocket but they got it covered for me. Either way they got the work as I wasn't taking it anywhere else.

I don't think we are supposed to see the wobbly vehicle symbol are we? I have a tech working on it who has been on the rovers for about 10 years. Previously a master tech of over 30 years was my main repair choice.

Anyway, I'm sure you're trying to help but assuming the dealer is ALWAYS bad is not cool. Some are fine, some are not.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not saying that they were causing the issues, or fixing things that were not a problem. But trust me, as I have run multiple shops at dealerships for the past decade, techs look for things to replace, it is how they get paid. That is not to say they are replacing things that are perfectly fine, and scamming anyone, but sometimes replacing things that are not failed, yes. You bring up the example of your EAS compressor. It running too long is usually a condition due to a leak in the drier, which is serviceable separately. However, and I completely agree with this, it is a better repair to replace the entire unit, but the correct repair is just the drier, LR has several bulletins about just how serviceable the compressors are. Only reason I bring this up is because you stated the overall cost of repairs, the difference in total price of that repair is about $600.

I am not trying to put down any dealership, or technician, I am a technician, and have spent the vast majority of my career as a dealer tech, I was on differenet forums 'helping' while I was working there as well. And I will say with complete confidence that there is not a single tech that does not look for something to upsell when doing an oil change, not looking to replace unneeded items, but things that are on the way to being needed. Ever get quoted for brakes at 4mm? I personally know several owners that have, and the technicians that did so, with the justification that it will not make it to the next service interval.

Any, and all dealerships, and shops have varying levels of technicians, that is the main thing to consider anywhere. A place with a great reputation may have one single tech that is worried about nothing but his paycheck, and the complete opposite is true as well. I have seen both sides of it in the past.

I am not trying to be argumentative, and it is good that you have a good relationship with your repair shop, that is very important, but I do still think very strongly that these trucks are reliable, even if yours has needed extensive repairs, and I also strongly recommend extended warranties, as these are expensive to repair.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest, truth in advertising though man....how has your LR3 been modified? Didn't you have some German suspension mod for a while? Yours was as kitted out as any I'd ever seen, as early as anyone's....so some of those mods may not have been vetted.

I don't disagree with you on the isses; but I think a lot of that speaks to high maintenance costs of the LR3 without knocking its reliability....because we are not talking about issues that leave you stranded or the vehicle un-driveable. I had a shock go out (maintenance) in the middle of the forest, with over-sized tires and somehow wheeled my way out of there and drove the vehicle home another 50 miles (reliable).

In other words I think the LR3 can fairly be characterized as "high maintenance" and "reliable" at the same time.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - take it easy on Dave, dude...your tech or indy wasn't called out by name; anonymity was preserved so if he wants to share insight on "upselling" that's his prerogative. Fair point about the legit nature of your issues though. Again...y'all's two points are not mutually exclusive, necessarily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM