2010 lr4 coolant leak (Can’t Find) please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, what’s the proper way to bleed the coolant when finished

Screenshot_20190307-213418_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190307-213428_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190307-213433_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190307-213437_Drive.jpg

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, what’s the proper way to bleed the coolant when finished
Start truck, run until fan comes on with heat (front and back) on high. Open bleed valves on both the reservoir and coolant pipe next to battery. Once coolant starts coming out of the valves, close them up.

Watch coolant level for a couple days. Refill expansion tank as level stabilizes and drops slightly. Repeat if necessary (air is trapped).

Only do a few short around town drives initially, check levels after driving AND cool down. (I just leave my hood open in garage).

PSA:

Also, you may want to change out both bleed screws as they do tend to get brittle and break at most inconvenient tiimes. Advance auto parts has them. Can also find on amazon. Dealer does not sell them separately.

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically the correct procedure. Either way should work ok. My way will require checking of coolant levels over about a weeks time (if there’s a LITTLE air trapped in the system it works it’s way out). A lot of air trapped is a problem, as you’ll develop hot spots in the engine (which is problematic to say the least).

If you’re taking a long road trip, you’ll definitely want to follow the “by the book” way above.

If you notice significant expansion in the tank (cold level versus hot level is significantly different) you likely have some air trapped. I have occasionally repeated bleed procedure to get remaining air out. Bleed screws are the high point in the cooling system, so after a little drive and cool down, remaining air will rise to these points. Repeat of procedure will help expel any remaining air.

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing it today, finally have time today, all day if need be, I got new brass bleed screws yesterday, so I’ll keep you updated. After this I need to fix my d1
Shouldn’t take all day. I’d say probably 1.5 to 2 hours total. Watch the video once or twice to get your bearings. I had to just figure it out which took me a bit longer and still (including the videoing) I was in a total of about 3 hours.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA