2010 lr4 coolant leak (Can’t Find) please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
had Rover shop replace both belts, alternator and crossover pipe cause pipe was leaking. It was about 2 months ago, now I’m leaking coolant, more when at idle. No sign of water pump leak or hoses or thermostat. I even pulled up intake manifold to check on the crossover pipe, no leak. The drops are coming above the transmission housing and falling down from bolts. The reservoir is losing coolant. Please help

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had Rover shop replace both belts, alternator and crossover pipe cause pipe was leaking. It was about 2 months ago, now I’m leaking coolant, more when at idle. No sign of water pump leak or hoses or thermostat. I even pulled up intake manifold to check on the crossover pipe, no leak. The drops are coming above the transmission housing and falling down from bolts. The reservoir is losing coolant. Please help
Just did the repair you need to check. My back crossover pipe/manifold was the culprit. I did a video on a separate thread. Search heater manifold or back crossover. This is likely your cause.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113219146453

Reaction score
Thanks, was it necessary to take the throttle body Apart. I’m assuming for more space and did you need to put on a new throttle body gasket and intake manifold gaskets. And I noticed after the car sitting for hours, after I unbolted and pulled up the manifold, there was more coolant coming out. I didn’t know what the hell was going on

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, was it necessary to take the throttle body Apart. I’m assuming for more space and did you need to put on a new throttle body gasket and intake manifold gaskets. And I noticed after the car sitting for hours, after I unbolted and pulled up the manifold, there was more coolant coming out. I didn’t know what the hell was going on

You’ll need to either take the tb off the manifold or disconnect the hose on the bottom of the tb. Either one will work... I did change my gaskets on both the intakes and the throttle body, but not necessary if they are in good shape. You do need to pull the manifold out. It likely is possible to do the repair with it in, but I can’t see how I could have done it without removal.

Yeah, mine was a very small amount but because it sits at a lower point on the engine, it’s likely that the coolant just keeps settling to that point from the hoses. When you moved the manifold, the back is connected to the wire loom, which is connected to the pipe; any disturbance to that loom could give enough force to expand your crack or accelerate your leak.

My independent lr mechanic said the back crossover pipes never leak...guess we need to start playing the lottery...

All and all the repair is not a bad one to do. It took me a total of about 2-2.5 hours, start to finish but had to wait on the part which made it a two day repair.

Reaction score
While I’m there, I’m also replacing the plugs, they were alittle worn out. When I connect the pipe,any special connect or just a basic tightened and the pipe should be fine? I’m assuming the pipe has rubber gaskets in the end

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I’m there, I’m also replacing the plugs, they were alittle worn out. When I connect the pipe,any special connect or just a basic tightened and the pipe should be fine? I’m assuming the pipe has rubber gaskets in the end
Just a basic tighten. O rings are there on the pipe. Held in place by four torx screws.

Reaction score
Scott, you’ve been great, saved me a lot of cash, I have 4 discos, so these vehicles can be expensive. I rather do the labor myself so I know it’s done right.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, you’ve been great, saved me a lot of cash, I have 4 discos, so these vehicles can be expensive. I rather do the labor myself so I know it’s done right.
My pleasure. It’s a bit more trouble than the front crossover but definitely something that is doable if you can turn a wrench. Hope the video is helpful.

Reaction score
BAF68A3C-F2D7-408E-BE35-197CAACAE590.png
Scott, are these the plenum gaskets

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72