LR4 Buyers Guide YouTube Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jahank42

Reaction score
Thinking of filming an LR4 buyers guide. I've compiled a list of things below to look out for if you're in the market. Anyone have any suggestions to add to the list?

Years: 2010-2012, 2013, 2014-2016
Trim Levels
HD Package (particularly 14-16)
Timing chain tensioner guides (particularly 10-12)
Coolant crossover pipes (front and rear)
Sunroof leaks
Control Arms
Air suspension leaks (struts, valve blocks, compressor)
Fluid changes (oil, transmission, etc.)
Valve cover gasket (leaking on alternator)
Start/stop battery (14-16)
Heat shield bracket rattle (LR073535)
Gap tool
Service records
Tires/brakes (it's heavy)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I applaud your initiative. I would suggest to make your video qualitative. Compare features and options, and make recommendations to the degree you feel comfortable doing so. People interested in buying a used LR4 are going to want to know that that they "got the right year" or didn't miss out on a potentially desirable option or feature. They are also going to want the true scoop on durability, maintainence, reliability, common issues, and expectations. Similarly, you will want to praise the virtues, and the aspects that simply trump all over vehicles on the road. I did a written version back in 2008. You might find it helpful as a primer or example: https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/buying-a-used-lr3-v6-or-v8-which-options-cautions/

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Moreover I find myself back and forth on the merits/disadvantages of the v8 vs the v6 (with the modern and improved transmission) eco-start and age of electronic components that have a finite lifespan.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sort of experience do you have with the LR4? Neat that you are taking the initiative, but I suppose a pet peeve of mine is when people post authoritative clips on youtube without any actual basis of knowledge. I had to stop watching videos on vehicles I know because it aggravated me how much people get wrong. Youtube is full of automotive "experts" who have little or no experience with what they are talking about.

That said, in the interest in making sure it's a comprehensive video, discuss records and the oil change interval. Land Rover recommends a 15k-mile interval, which is insane and probably a big part of why timing chains and guides can go much sooner on some vehicles than others.

For the air suspension, the struts may leak. The compressor and valve blocks don't. Valve blocks either get desiccant in them or just go bad with miles and time. The compressor generally only goes bad when it has to run too much, but in any event probably winds up needing replaced around 100k miles for most. There were two models of compressor. The Hitachi was used up to around 2011 to 2012ish, and the AMK thereafter.

You can also talk about how easy the oil changes are with a mightyvac, and how generally easy the maintenance is in general. Swapping air struts are really not much different than swapping struts in any other vehicle. Compressor is easy, too. Brake job is pretty easy, especially compared to a Land Cruiser where you have to take apart the entire front hub just to swap the brake rotors.

DIYing Land Rover repairs removes a lot of the big gripe people have about them: cost of maintenance. A dealer charges $2500 for new pads and rotors. You can do it yourself for $700.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever do brakes on all four corners? Never been that lucky to have pads/rotors all need replacing at the same time.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a pictures and text guy, but even for that media it would be a lot of work and not worth it unless you yourself needed to know all that.

jahank42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I recently purchased a 2016 LR4 (coming from an 07 L322) and want to make this guide while all of the information is still fresh. The plan is talk about the major maintenance items to look out for (hence the initial list) and then actually show in the video where to look on the vehicle. I will also talk a bit about what options to look for and some of the differences in the model years, V8 vs SCV6, ZF6 vs ZF8, gear stick vs rotary dial, etc. I will also talk about service records and the more realistic fluid intervals (oil every 5k-7.5k, transmission not actually sealed for life, etc.). There are a number of decent LR3 videos out there, but not very many good LR4 videos out there. So I guess the plan is to make the kind of video that I would have like to have watched a couple months ago when I first started looking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72