Which one would you go?

• New genuine

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • New aftermarket

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Used genuine

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets start at the beginning. Who said your cat needed replacing?
Ditto this: ^^^

Generally, factory cats are far superior to aftermarket (there's a reason the aftermarket are so "affordable"). However in USA, federal law prohibits sale of used catalytic converters. So you won't find any salvage yards in USA selling them. Only possibility would be a private party sale. Not sure about Canadian laws.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto this: ^^^

Generally, factory cats are far superior to aftermarket (there's a reason the aftermarket are so "affordable").

"...far superior..." in what aspect of performance? The only considerations that matter in a replacement catalytic converter are 1) is it less exhaust restrictive than stock?, 2) is it cheaper than stock?, and 3) is it legal? Nobody cares about anything else.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...far superior..." in what aspect of performance? The only considerations that matter in a replacement catalytic converter are 1) is it less exhaust restrictive than stock?, 2) is it cheaper than stock?, and 3) is it legal? Nobody cares about anything else.
OE is typically superior in longevity and reduced emissions, not power output.

While I can't comment on LR4 cats specifically, for some other marques, replacing a cheap converter every few years ends up being more expensive than buying a good one up front.

I still want to see an answer to ktm's question about why the cats supposedly need replacement. There are some LR4's on this forum with 150-200kmi and no reports of dead catalysts, that I know of.

o_O

Joel123

Reaction score
Looking for recommendation guys, things are my 2011 Disco 4 cat converter need to be replaced so options are:

1) Genuine parts ($3k/ea)
2) Used ones: I found used parts from 2006 Disco 3 which $500/ea so would they fit mine?

Anyone had same model available just let me know. I’m in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Thanks a lot for your helps
Hey, I've been driving on a engine code for the passenger cat for some time, dealer price is over the top. I have been watching Parts Avatar for the Direct Fit Cat by Davico at $650. Did you have success finding a replacement? I am in Winnipeg

Bushwa

Reaction score
Have you considered this. If you’re getting a CeL for cat efficiency below threshold, they may be operating at 89% efficiency, while the lower limit is 90. mine started throwing a code for this at about 280,000 km. No way I’m dumping thousands into cats for a vehicle that’s now worth peanuts due to a dodgy reliability record and high mileage. I installed 1/2” spacers on the o2 sensors. CEL gone.

Bushwa

Reaction score
It's just a threaded extension, unplug and unscrew O2 sensor, thread the male end into the pipe, reinstall O2 sensor into the extension. It spaces the tip slightly out of the exhaust flow so it generally reads lower. You'll occasionally throw a code for "O2 Sensor Heater slow to warm up" but it doesn't trigger a CEL in my case. Most likely illegal in most states and provinces, so proceed at your own risk. Is it any more harmful than just ignoring the CEL and driving it?

Joel123

Reaction score
How would I find out what efficiency the cat is running at, or is that even important? Also I thought a cat code means lower fuel efficiency, would it improve with a new cat? ....and 3 where would I get the threaded extension for the 02 sensor?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cats won't affect fuel consumption unless they are plugged enough to reduce power/airflow, which would be pretty rare IMO.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be very curious to have someone weld up a set of straight pipers with a b u n g on each end for the sensors and see if the truck had any problem with that.

I may or may not know a bunch of 911 guys who have run that configuration with zero ill effects. And yes, I know they are supposed to sense differential pressure and all that. Just saying that it might or might not work in the Porsche world.

ETA: God, this auto censor is getting touchy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM