2011 LR4 HSE vs LUX package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

starrover

Reaction score
I decided to go with the HSE to save the approximately $6k - the ONLY 2 features I really wanted from the LUX package were the keyless entry/locking and the seat memory. The idea of not having to ever take my key out of my purse or pocket when I have 2 kids and an armful of groceries is something I still wish for everyday....but I feel good about saving the $.

As for the memory seats, on a car of this caliber that feature should be standard!!!

mrtp4

Reaction score
I say go for it. I have a 2011 HSE Lux and it is a terrific machine. My only serious(??) problem to date is with the vision-assist package. I used to own a 2001 Discovery, and when I started looking for a new car I was like you -- I looked at Merc, BMW, but I always knew I wanted an LR4. Now loving every minute of it, especially on really bad snow days here in Canada - you just can't beat it.

Eventually you'll be like the rest of us: Buying an insane amount of gas, going to the dealer once or twice more per year than an 'average' truck owner, and spending way more than you should on LR accessories. But the truck will look sooo good every day you go outside, you just won't care...

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also bought the lux as the heated rear seat and steering wheel is nice in the winter. The auto high beam and HID lights look great and match the accent LEDs. Otherwise, the yellowish Halogens look goofy with the LEDs to me. The cooler is great in the hot **** summers here in Tex. It's nice keeping a gatorade or water in there all the time and cold after a drive. I know people think the cheaper leather is somehow more utilitarian but the premium leather actually has better durability when maintained, per my detail guy. Also, it was noticeably more comfortable to me when I test drove both Lux and Hse. Memory seat should be standard on all trims for this price but it's only on the Lux. The other two options that the lux gives is the down folding mirrors when reversing and the logic 7 stereo, which is definitely way better than the base Harmon Kardon.

Like another poster mentioned, the around vehicle camera is part of the vision package and not in the lux. I know you are hoping not to have any electrical gremlins but you will more than likely get a few regardless if it's the lux or Hse...don't let those who bought the Hse tell you "it's smart" to not get the lux because you will have a better chance of not having any issues. I have the lux and the only issues I have ever had were one instance of the radio not playing sound and the gas meter showing empty even though it was full(driving off the dealer lot and fixed that day with a LR TSB). If you search through the forum, I'm sure you will find posts from many Hse owners with blank screens, gas meter issues, steering vibration...etc.

All this to say, get what makes you happy and test drive and spend time looking at both trims. You're making a big purchase regardless so don't leave any chance for regrets about options later.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count..... I so appreciate your posts! You have me all pumped up and ready to put a Land Rover flag in my front yard!! Lol. I am not kidding. I'm sold. I want that white HSE. It was magnificent in the lot and like you, I'm thinking, the less techie things to go bad, the better my experience will be 100 miles from my dealer.

Man.... You really should work in PR for LR. Your post struck me. You will hear this FL gal squealing across the country the day I drive off in my white LR beauty!

Again, thanks for taking the time to post. It helps a lot to hear others experiences..

You crack me up! I want to put a Land Rover flag on my lawn too! Haha... Too funny.

I wish I worked for Land Rover PR :)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saying that the non-lux leather is cheap is an silly thing to say. If it is so cheap and inferior to the premium, then why is it that the same cheap textured leather is in the non- lux Range Rover HSE that goes for 85k? Exact same leather. Just a silly thing to say.

I personally didn't like the premium leather because it looked to "Lexus" for me! I didn't like the pleated look. I wanted simple, symmetrical leather seats that fit my needs, as well as what I find a Land Rover to be... A luxurous, yet utilitarian vehicle. Not a Cadillac.

And yes, the halogens are a bit yellow/dim, but for $45 bucks I upgraded to Philips CVs and they are just as good as the HIDs. Best H11 bulbs in the world, cheap.

Now, I'm going to get opinionated. The power folding mirrors are useless, really, they are. I had them on two bimmers and never used them. The vision package? Another waste of hard earned money. Nothing but a gimmick to show your friends, like all of one time.

These options are great for the guys and gals who want it all! Nothing wring with that. All carmakers offer the techie stuff, nothing new and a major margin winner for the company. I support it.

But I'm the kind of guy who wants to keep it simple from now on. And it's why I chose to keep it simple. I saved 7k which can be used for a solar roof on my house. And I can still see while pulling out of my driveway.

PS - I do have front and rear heated seats and they work great! Luxury enough for my buns.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with the HSE to save the approximately $6k - the ONLY 2 features I really wanted from the LUX package were the keyless entry/locking and the seat memory. The idea of not having to ever take my key out of my purse or pocket when I have 2 kids and an armful of groceries is something I still wish for everyday....but I feel good about saving the $.

As for the memory seats, on a car of this caliber that feature should be standard!!!

I do agree that memory seats should be standard. Or, just set to match your other half's key via programing. BMW does this and it works great and it's simple.

One thing I didn't like about LRs keyless entry is that you still need to aim your thumb and push that tiny-winnie little button, then grab the hook, and this in my opinion means it's not really keyless entry per se. Now, BMW does it purely by touch, just put your hand on the handle and voila! It unlocks, absolutely no effort at all. That is truly keyless entry. BUT, what started to happen to me, is that I got so used to it, I forgot to use the "key fob" to actually lock the car... Just forgot out of loss of habit. After accidentally leaving the doors unlocked and my wife's Chanel sunglasses were stolen, I pretty much became anti-keyless. Technology is causing humans to become stupid.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree that memory seats should be standard. Or, just set to match your other half's key via programing. BMW does this and it works great and it's simple.

One thing I didn't like about LRs keyless entry is that you still need to aim your thumb and push that tiny-winnie little button, then grab the hook, and this in my opinion means it's not really keyless entry per se. Now, BMW does it purely by touch, just put your hand on the handle and voila! It unlocks, absolutely no effort at all. That is truly keyless entry. BUT, what started to happen to me, is that I got so used to it, I forgot to use the "key fob" to actually lock the car... Just forgot out of loss of habit. After accidentally leaving the doors unlocked and my wife's Chanel sunglasses were stolen, I pretty much became anti-keyless. Technology is causing humans to become stupid.

Almost right, the little button is to lock the lr4 to unlock just grab the handle and pull, that way you can lock it without grabbing your key fob...pretty cool I must say

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saying that the non-lux leather is cheap is an silly thing to say. If it is so cheap and inferior to the premium, then why is it that the same cheap textured leather is in the non- lux Range Rover HSE that goes for 85k? Exact same leather. Just a silly thing to say.

I personally didn't like the premium leather because it looked to "Lexus" for me! I didn't like the pleated look. I wanted simple, symmetrical leather seats that fit my needs, as well as what I find a Land Rover to be... A luxurous, yet utilitarian vehicle. Not a Cadillac.

And yes, the halogens are a bit yellow/dim, but for $45 bucks I upgraded to Philips CVs and they are just as good as the HIDs. Best H11 bulbs in the world, cheap.

Now, I'm going to get opinionated. The power folding mirrors are useless, really, they are. I had them on two bimmers and never used them. The vision package? Another waste of hard earned money. Nothing but a gimmick to show your friends, like all of one time.

These options are great for the guys and gals who want it all! Nothing wring with that. All carmakers offer the techie stuff, nothing new and a major margin winner for the company. I support it.

But I'm the kind of guy who wants to keep it simple from now on. And it's why I chose to keep it simple. I saved 7k which can be used for a solar roof on my house. And I can still see while pulling out of my driveway.

PS - I do have front and rear heated seats and they work great! Luxury enough for my buns.

Count,

You crack me up...you want to keep it simple but you bought an LR? ; )

No one said the base leather was cheap. If you are referring to my post, I simply stated that my detail guy mentioned that the "premium" leather would hold up better if maintained...not sure how "cheap" was insinuated by that but I must have hit a nerve with you so for that, I apologize.

Finally, if I remember the original post correctly, it was a question regarding opinions on both trims. So as a LUX owner, I was simply stating all the extras that the LUX package offered and how they were important to me as this will be a big purchase for UGAgirl97 and I know that I've made purchases(TVs, cars..etc) in the past where I have wished I spent more for some additional options.

Either way, she won't go wrong so both user accounts will be very helpful to her.

Cheers!

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on taking the LR4 off-roading, then also consider the Heavy Duty package, which gives you locking rear differential and a full size spare. At only $750, it's a great deal for 2 very useful off-roading features.

I chose the HSE Lux package with Vision Assist and the Heavy Duty package. After 6 months of ownership, I am happy with my choice, electrical gremlins and all. :biggrin:

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your incredible feedback! This forum is really great and I really have some great advice from both sides and I appreciate it all so much!

I wont be off-roading, at least intentionally, which I know to some seems sacriligious for an LR4 owner, but alas, I am a girl and the thought of scratching my beautiful truck or getting it dirty just gives me the chills. LOL Plus, not too much offroading opportunities where I live.

Still leaning heavily towards the non-LUX HSE b/c I do want to save the 6-7K and the extra LUX options, while very nice, are just not neccessary for me for that extra price. I do wish the keyless entry was an extra option for $1500-$2000 at most b/c I would heavily consider adding that option alone.

It is so refreshing to hear from everyone that has an LR4 that they are still so crazy about their truck, even if they have had the gremlins. The only real gremlin that will wreck my day is if the stereo system goes out....that will be an immediate drive to the dealer to get the "update" or whatever to fix that. It is great seeing that none of the "gremlins" are leaving people stranded on the side of the road. When it comes down to it, that is the most important.

Thanks again for all the posts and any to come... this thread will surely be educational for many others besides myself. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9