2011 LR4 HSE vs LUX package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,

You crack me up...you want to keep it simple but you bought an LR? ; )

No one said the base leather was cheap. If you are referring to my post, I simply stated that my detail guy mentioned that the "premium" leather would hold up better if maintained...not sure how "cheap" was insinuated by that but I must have hit a nerve with you so for that, I apologize.

Finally, if I remember the original post correctly, it was a question regarding opinions on both trims. So as a LUX owner, I was simply stating all the extras that the LUX package offered and how they were important to me as this will be a big purchase for UGAgirl97 and I know that I've made purchases(TVs, cars..etc) in the past where I have wished I spent more for some additional options.

Either way, she won't go wrong so both user accounts will be very helpful to her.

Cheers!

My sincere apologies to you, I really didn’t mean at all to make you feel that you should apologize to me because of your post, and I surely didn’t mean to come off sounding like a complete **** or overly defensive. :-( I write a lot of my responses via iPhone while sitting on the couch watching re-runs of Seinfeld, and totally lose track of my tone and respect for others. I will admit though, it’s amazing to witness the pure passion that Land Rover owners have on this forum.

It’s funny, because back in my bimmer days, we used to debate what was better: the manual transmission or the double-clutch transmission. The forum would go mad, completely mad. The debates were endless; they’d go on for days, nights… even Christmas Day. We'd debate, volley, get totally emotional… it was and still is completely amusing, because even to this day, the debate continues. We're talking three-years and counting. And just when you think the comparison finally exhausted itself, a new post will come about, and everyone will sigh and say to themselves, “Oh, my… here we go again!” :)

Ironically, I think the non-Lux and Lux debate is much like that example. And although we all love our Land Rovers, regardless of options, or packages, it’s a healthy debate and it is what makes forums like this exciting. It allows us to state our opinions and spend countless hours bragging about our beloved LR4s, and why, they mean so much to each of us. It’s actually, quite a beautiful thing. Sure, the Land Rover is just a car; a car is just a car. But IMO, Land Rovers are far more than that, they are the essence of mankind’s adventurous and exploratory curiosity, and if Magellan were alive today, and he had the opportunity to chose any car in the world to drive, it would be no less, a Land Rover. Lux or non-Lux.

Last edited:

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wont be off-roading, at least intentionally, which I know to some seems sacriligious for an LR4 owner, but alas, I am a girl and the thought of scratching my beautiful truck or getting it dirty just gives me the chills. LOL Plus, not too much offroading opportunities where I live.
I am a girl too... and I'll be offroading when the snow melts! :proud:

danwolfca

Reaction score
Hse LUX + Vision assist

I went to the dealer 2 weeks ago to test drive an LR4, what i had in mind was Nara Bronze/beige interior and base model....When my wife and me got there, we test drove a Black on black, hse lux with vision assist and 20 inches wheels (all the options except entertainment) so when we brought the car back, guess what i wanted??? So I took delivery of this exceptional machine 10 days ago and what a subtle ride, I appreciate the keyless entry and white leds inside the car...but the handling is a bit different with those wheels...Overall lux or not at the end it depends what you want...If have to admit that over time, i have learn that too many gadgets (whatever they are on) come with troubles...But all in all, i think that most of you talk about the same thing , is "passion" for LRs...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my heart set on a 2011 Bronze LR4 HSE (non-lux). When I got to the dealer, there was an Izmir Blue 2010 LR4 one sitting in the showroom. I walked up to it and knew it was it. It completely connected with me, my heart pounded, and my gut said, this was it. I even had a name for her, on the spot, Harriet. It sang to me also! It was a done deal.

And although I thought I was missing out on the 2011 HSE options, like the back-up camera, I was wrong. Because the 2010 has the parking sensors (front and rear) which IMO are superior. Because I'm still turning my head to actually look what's behind me, and second, the sensors are amazing, they pick up steep grades, for instance, a log, rock, child's toy that you cannot see via camera or by eye, which IMO, is superior!

Also, the HSE (non-lux) is more utilitarian. I love the fact that I have nice, tough, textured leather seats. They are strong and can take a beating. I can hop in my truck with wet shorts and not fuss. My kid can throw cheerios around and spill milk without fuss. I kept it simple, and it’s still a very impressive cabin and I get compliments on it all the time. I don’t regret or feel I’m missing out by not have the Lux – and I saved 7K on top of it. It's that old business saying KISS (keep it simple stupid) and it works for me and many others!

A while back, I made the mistake by buying a M3 fully loaded. I got all the techie stuff. And soft leather seats. All the "stuff" I thought I wanted. After about a month of ownership the seats started to wear. They required constant attention. I was always worried who was sitting in the seats. Were they wearing a wax-riding coat or blue jeans with huge buttons that'd scratch my beautiful leather. And then the techie stuff, well, I used it for a week, then never again. 90% waste - and nothing but software bugs! And I swore from that point on I would never throw money out the window like that again. I could have gotten an M3 with cloth seats and no techno gimmicks and would have had a much better ownship experience.

As for Mercs, the sedans are HOT. The E-class is a true masterpiece and has put Merc back on track. I personally want an E-class sedan as a replacement for my wife’s aging BMW. The rest of their cars are "Dodge" Chrysler-influenced and those need to be pushed through their lifecycles and put to rest. Once Merc washes its clothes, you'll see an improvement on both the design and reliability end. And yes, the ML is kind of dorky, but it's made for a very specific audience and they sell a lot of them. There are some that swear by them. But again, they are made for a particular market. Land Rover, well, we know their market and they truly do care about what they produce. They've gotten so much better. And although you may fear an issue here and there, the LR won't leave you stranded and most of the little things that go wrong can be taken care of at anytime, they aren't musts.

Man, I can't wait to see what you end up getting, no matter the choice, please share your story! :)

PS - Gas prices, use them to your negotiating advantage! Keep bringing it up as you get close to coming up with a final number!
Hey Count,

Perfectly said - this is the exact reasons why I went with the HSE and not the Lux version. I am very happy with my 2011 nara bronze LR4 HSE!

-David.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I got a 2010 HSE April 2010. I was very happy and impressed with the vehicle, however my wife was VERY disappointed to learn that there was no rear view camera and memory seats. I got it to surprise her for her birthday. She was very happy and appreciative, but disappointed mostly for the lack of the rear view camera. We have 3 kids and there are many kids in our neighborhood and alot of the places we go to have kids running around, so she always felt very uncomfortable backing up since she is relatively small and cannot get a good view looking back even with the middle headrest removed.
After a year and a half of almost constant complaints from the wife, I traded in the HSE for a 2011 lux with vision assist. Extremely happy with all the additional comfort features ESP the rear view camera, memory seats and active keyless entry. Could care less about the leather. Logic seven sound system sounds the same to my untrained ears. HIDs seem to be exactly the same as the aftermarket ones I had in the 2010 HSE with IDENTICAL cutoff and I bet the projectors are IDENTICAL but cannot be sure unless we take them apart and compare. the lux however has auto leveling and active headlight control. Most importantly, my wife feels safer backing up and is now very happy. I got a a decent deal and I pay a few bucks less a month since I am leasing this one with zero down payment and first month and old LR4 paid off by dealer. They also threw in tow electrics, mud flaps and side steps, iPod cable and winter mats. I know they are making a lot of money off of me, but I had to do it to make the complaints stop!!!
Maybe I'll get a surprise tonight. We shall see...:wink:

Last edited:

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! great story we have a LUX as well and my wife has become so spoiled by the memory seats, rearview camera and key I don't think she would settle anymore.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey baobay,

Congratulations on the new LR4! I am sure your wife will love having the new features and you will like having the LED accent lights. I love my back-up camera! The only feature I did not have was the HID lights and now I do thanks to the aftermarket HID kit. For me, the memory seats do not matter as I am the only one who drives it. The passive entry would be cool though. You gotta share some pictures, as I know it's similar to your previous one, but still! :)

Congratulations!

-David

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuji white is a great color. I'm usually not a fan of white cars but there is something about the Land Rovers in white. Maybe it's the grill or something I don't know but definitely a sharp looking truck. Congrats.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuji white is a great color. I'm usually not a fan of white cars but there is something about the Land Rovers in white. Maybe it's the grill or something I don't know but definitely a sharp looking truck. Congrats.

Thanks LRnewbie,
I had the 2010 Alaska white which is a much duller white compared tot he 2011 Fuji white. Both are very nice but the alaska white is much brighter and jumps out at you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM