2011 LR4 HSE vs LUX package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone....so, I am about 95% sure I am going to get an LR4 in the next couple of months ( the reason I am not getting it today is because we are waiting on a large bonus/payout coming our way and we want to use it for a large down pmt....trust me...it is not my nature to wait this long to pull the trigger...) People have asked me before in posts why I am waiting, so I thought I'd explain. Anyway.....

I am pretty positive if we decide on the LR4, I am just going to get the HSE (non-lux) model b/c I dont really need anything in the lux package. I live in hot, flat Florida and I dont need a ton of cameras and I like the HSE leather just fine. I do, however, like the keyless entry system in the lux pkg and the cooler...LOL

My question is for the people who have a 2010 or 2011 that have had their share of "gremlins", do you all have the LUX package? I was thinking maybe b/c it has more intricate and electrical systems and computers/cameras, that I might avoid the little headaches right out the door by getting the more basic HSE package. The dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away so bringing it in a lot would be a real headache and take a lot of planning. I swear, if the dang dealer was in my city than I would be 100% sure this is the car I planned to purchase. Right now it's main competitor is the Mercedes ML350 or a used GL450...the major plus for them is that the dealer is 20 mins away.

Any thoughts would help....just curious if the majority of gremlins come with the LUX. Please dont get frustrated with me and my doubts about this truck. I still think it is beautiful and classy and amazing, but I am also a realist and just want to see what you all have to say.

Thanks again :)

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up an '11 Lux in Feb. Have about 1300 miles on it. I have water in the pass. side blinker, and I broke the bracket that holds the seat belt buckle on the driver side 3rd row seat. Both could happen in either truck. My speaker in the pass. side door is also rattling, but the stereo is upgraded in the lux.

When I spoke to my fiance about buying this truck we discussed warranty issues. Which I knew we would have here and there. My previous daily driver was an '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser. No warranty issue's over 4yrs and 50k miles. So I was spoiled. I tried talking my fiance in a Lexus GX460 just for reliabilty. But at the end of the day, I always wanted a discovery /LR4. So I bought it knowing that there maybe a trip to the dealer here and there. I have a crazy work schedule and it is a royal PITA tring to make an appointment that works.

If I was in your shoes buy a new vechicle. Forget about the GL, and see what you like better. The LR4 or the ML. Mercedes have there own issues though. You should look into that first. I spoke to an Ex mercedes salesmen acouple years ago and he told me "at times I would keep my fingers crossed that the vechicle would start at delivery"

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think you need to test drive all the cars you like back to back (same day) and decide from there. Decide with your gut - don't make it emotional! I always make purchases based on one factor, what does my gut say. When I sit in a car and it speaks to me, regardless of price, or even how little it may cost, if it connects with me, and feels right, then it's the right purchase. This is a rule my wife and I use and it works perfectly - clothes, house, cars, whatever. Make your own decision and if it doesn't feel right, walk away! Regardless of what you've set in your mind.

I have a 2010 HSE (non-lux) and have had zero gremlins. No cameras, no gimmicks, just pure LR.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was in your shoes buy a new vechicle. Forget about the GL, and see what you like better. The LR4 or the ML. Mercedes have there own issues though. You should look into that first. I spoke to an Ex mercedes salesmen acouple years ago and he told me "at times I would keep my fingers crossed that the vechicle would start at delivery"

So true, the ML is a POS! The GL is nice, perfect family machine, very classy, not the best off-roader, but nice. But honestly, if I was going to buy a GL, I'd go all out and get the G-wagon all the way.

Last edited:

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think you need to test drive all the cars you like back to back (same day) and decide from there. Decide with your gut - don't make it emotional! I always make purchases based on one factor, what does my gut say. When I sit in a car and it speaks to me, regardless of price, or even how little it may cost, if it connects with me, and feels right, then it's the right purchase. This is a rule my wife and I use and it works perfectly - clothes, house, cars, whatever. Make your own decision and if it doesn't feel right, walk away! Regardless of what you've set in your mind.

I have a 2010 HSE (non-lux) and have had zero gremlins. No cameras, no gimmicks, just pure LR.

I hear ya. My gut, my LOVE, is the LR4. It almost sings to me. I actually did do back to back test drives this weekend. The GL I drove first, but it was just not that attractive. My husband thought it was hideous and looked like a "Pontiac mini-van" lol. It was the right size, but my least favorite and, new, WAY more than we want to spend. The ML was a bit better looking, but a bit small. I used to hate all Mercedes SUVs. Never understood how they could make such gorgeous sedans and completely miss the boat on their SUVs. But they improved the look in the 2011 ML. I drove them on Friday and I drove my 1.5 hours on Sat to drive my beloved LR4. They actually had a white HSE on the lot and I swear, it sparkled from the interstate as I approached it. Loved the drive. Loved everything. But it is so far away and a friend of mine had a Horrendous experience with their service dept. Hence my dilemma.

Count, I do like how you have had no probs and you don't have the LUX. When I took my husband with me on Sunday to the Mercedes lot to show him the ML and GL, he gagged over the GL and said the ML was ok, but then he said " babe....what are we doing here? You know you are going to get the LR4. Its your favorite and my favorite too".

Damn....IF ONLY the dealer was here. My heart, for sure, is with my beautiful white LR4. I will, however, drive and go over my actual truck with a fine-tooth comb before I pull away the day I pick it up. Believe that! The radio/iPod integration is the most crucial thing for me and I don't want it blanking out on me like several people here have experienced with heir brand new trucks

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my heart set on a 2011 Bronze LR4 HSE (non-lux). When I got to the dealer, there was an Izmir Blue 2010 LR4 one sitting in the showroom. I walked up to it and knew it was it. It completely connected with me, my heart pounded, and my gut said, this was it. I even had a name for her, on the spot, Harriet. It sang to me also! It was a done deal.

And although I thought I was missing out on the 2011 HSE options, like the back-up camera, I was wrong. Because the 2010 has the parking sensors (front and rear) which IMO are superior. Because I'm still turning my head to actually look what's behind me, and second, the sensors are amazing, they pick up steep grades, for instance, a log, rock, child's toy that you cannot see via camera or by eye, which IMO, is superior!

Also, the HSE (non-lux) is more utilitarian. I love the fact that I have nice, tough, textured leather seats. They are strong and can take a beating. I can hop in my truck with wet shorts and not fuss. My kid can throw cheerios around and spill milk without fuss. I kept it simple, and it’s still a very impressive cabin and I get compliments on it all the time. I don’t regret or feel I’m missing out by not have the Lux – and I saved 7K on top of it. It's that old business saying KISS (keep it simple stupid) and it works for me and many others!

A while back, I made the mistake by buying a M3 fully loaded. I got all the techie stuff. And soft leather seats. All the "stuff" I thought I wanted. After about a month of ownership the seats started to wear. They required constant attention. I was always worried who was sitting in the seats. Were they wearing a wax-riding coat or blue jeans with huge buttons that'd scratch my beautiful leather. And then the techie stuff, well, I used it for a week, then never again. 90% waste - and nothing but software bugs! And I swore from that point on I would never throw money out the window like that again. I could have gotten an M3 with cloth seats and no techno gimmicks and would have had a much better ownship experience.

As for Mercs, the sedans are HOT. The E-class is a true masterpiece and has put Merc back on track. I personally want an E-class sedan as a replacement for my wife’s aging BMW. The rest of their cars are "Dodge" Chrysler-influenced and those need to be pushed through their lifecycles and put to rest. Once Merc washes its clothes, you'll see an improvement on both the design and reliability end. And yes, the ML is kind of dorky, but it's made for a very specific audience and they sell a lot of them. There are some that swear by them. But again, they are made for a particular market. Land Rover, well, we know their market and they truly do care about what they produce. They've gotten so much better. And although you may fear an issue here and there, the LR won't leave you stranded and most of the little things that go wrong can be taken care of at anytime, they aren't musts.

Man, I can't wait to see what you end up getting, no matter the choice, please share your story! :)

PS - Gas prices, use them to your negotiating advantage! Keep bringing it up as you get close to coming up with a final number!

Last edited:

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count..... I so appreciate your posts! You have me all pumped up and ready to put a Land Rover flag in my front yard!! Lol. I am not kidding. I'm sold. I want that white HSE. It was magnificent in the lot and like you, I'm thinking, the less techie things to go bad, the better my experience will be 100 miles from my dealer.

Man.... You really should work in PR for LR. Your post struck me. You will hear this FL gal squealing across the country the day I drive off in my white LR beauty!

Again, thanks for taking the time to post. It helps a lot to hear others experiences..

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go lux......i had a loaner without lux adn just wasnt the same........

lux seats are more comfortable......cool led headlights, keyless entry is nice, bluetooth phone is nice, cant remember all the other stuff, but i say it si totally worth it....the stuff you get with lux are not the things that tend to go wrong anymore....you still have to get the vision assist pkg to get all the cameras......luxjust gets you the rear....

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HSE non-lux I drove this weekend has a back up camera and Bluetooth. It doesn't have keyless entry or memory seats and luxury leather

danwolfca

Reaction score
HSE Lux

Well there you go...I went to see the dealer two weeks ago, and I had in mind an HSE straight, Nara Bronze and almond interior...When I got there , they had an HSE Lux + Vision assist + 20 inches wheel Santorini Black on black...Did a test drive with the wife, and guess what? When I got the vehicle back I said , I want that car...It has all the options except Entertainment package...What a great car...The wheel size sure makes a little difference in the handling...One of my favorite option is the keyless feature...Also the white LEDs that lit up from underneath both mirrors...I suspect that some of the problems mentioned in the previous posts must have been addressed since my car was off the assembly line this January...Told the dealer as well that I will be in the UK next year and that I would like to visit the LR installations, told me that he would arrange it for me...Great cars...What i like about LR, is that they stick to what they do best...SUV...Not like BM, MERCS or even PORSCHE, these guys are spanning too much in the various kind of car they offer...Some of them should stick with what they know best(IMO)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM