2011 LR4 - preemptive coolant repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Higgins

Reaction score
2011 LR4 with 130K miles.
Had the front X-over and water pump done at 80K miles. (along with LR018275)
Rear crossover done at 130K miles. While it was in there - my Indie shop recommended replacing a few more coolant pipes along with the radiator as a preventative measure.

I'm doing the extra work myself and would like to address any weak points. There are no other leaks right now (apart from a seeping radiator)

They mentioned a hose going to the thermostat as well as updated hoses (see photo) but I'm having trouble identifying what I need.
Short of replacing the entire coolant system; are there any crucial fail points (other than the X-overs which already have been done)

The attached photo appears to be

but is not leaking and I can't tell if there is an updated version of it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• lr_pipes.png
    lr_pipes.png
    897.3 KB · Views: 29

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be replacing the whole cooling system. Not sure why you are against that unless things like the hoses are still good. It doesn't make sense to replace good parts but it does make sense to go through the whole system part-by-part.

I had someone else do most of it for my LR4, but I did the rear and front cross overs on my own in my apartment parking lot. My radiator, water pump, water pump belt, t-stat and other small coolant parts were replaced.
Now I don't worry about it at all but I did initially because last July when I got it I sprung a leak in the 115F heat. Then when I did the rear cross over there was a leak in one connector and I stressed about that because its one of those plastic compression fittings with o-rings inside that is just stupid full ******. Nobody needed that kind of connector there and to replace the connector you had to buy the whole line and it was like $400 or something silly.

Blueaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front & rear manifolds and cross-over pipes replaced at 77k miles along with the water pump. Then last week at 124,470 miles the crossover pipes started leaking again and had to be replaced (front & rear). Radiator and thermostat and most hoses replaced at about 118k miles. If you put enough miles on, and live in a high-heat area (like AZ of NV) then don't assume your crossover pipes are a one-and-done repair. Thankfully I was in my driveway when my system dumped all it's coolant last week. If I had been 100 miles off road I'd have been screwed.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front & rear manifolds and cross-over pipes replaced at 77k miles along with the water pump. Then last week at 124,470 miles the crossover pipes started leaking again and had to be replaced (front & rear). Radiator and thermostat and most hoses replaced at about 118k miles. If you put enough miles on, and live in a high-heat area (like AZ of NV) then don't assume your crossover pipes are a one-and-done repair. Thankfully I was in my driveway when my system dumped all it's coolant last week. If I had been 100 miles off road I'd have been screwed.
my first crossover replacement also only lasted about 80k (from 80k miles to 160k) miles. I'm guessing when i did them the first time they were still the old unrevised parts.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
47k mi for a crossover isn't that long, a bit longer than a brake job probably. Good to know because I'm a desert guy. It hit 102F already this year. I topped off the coolant today since the level was in the middle of the low/high span. I calculated 5,129 miles since the level was at the high point back in December. I also checked it today at my campsite vs old apartment so it's probably not level.

John Higgins

Reaction score
I'd be replacing the whole cooling system. Not sure why you are against that unless things like the hoses are still good. It doesn't make sense to replace good parts but it does make sense to go through the whole system part-by-part.
Thanks. I’m not against replacing the entire cooling system per se. I’m just not sure what that really means. Coolant pump, thermostat housing, radiator and front crossover pipe seem to be in order. But I’m trying to figure out the myriad of rubber hoses and plastic parts in real terms. Like actual parts that I can lookup to get part numbers and order them.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 with 130K miles.
Had the front X-over and water pump done at 80K miles. (along with LR018275)
Rear crossover done at 130K miles. While it was in there - my Indie shop recommended replacing a few more coolant pipes along with the radiator as a preventative measure.

I'm doing the extra work myself and would like to address any weak points. There are no other leaks right now (apart from a seeping radiator)

They mentioned a hose going to the thermostat as well as updated hoses (see photo) but I'm having trouble identifying what I need.
Short of replacing the entire coolant system; are there any crucial fail points (other than the X-overs which already have been done)

The attached photo appears to be

but is not leaking and I can't tell if there is an updated version of it.

Thanks!
Just my 2 cents: I just had the mysterious baseball sized wetspot on the driveway. I traced it to a momentary seep out the thermostat housing seam during warmup. I saw it happen, only from a cold start, looking up from below with the small steel protection panel removed. 66k miles. Gonna wait for a few more leaks before diving in. The rear crossover oozed for the first five years of ownership. Now it has stopped, I think.
Someone said it took the Japanese to make a motorcycle that did not leak like the English bikes, thereby making them acceptable for female riders.
Love the LR, especially the ZF gearbox.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd