2012 LR4 - Does dealer need to enable something for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikegraef

Reaction score
Hi all - does anyone have *authoritative* information on whether or not you need to have the dealership/IID tool enable something to properly tow with the LR4?

I ask because I installed the LR OEM tow kit several years ago - the wiring harness and the plow-type hitch. I didn't have the dealer do anything to the truck after that, and it appears to have worked fine for rental trailers (couple thousand pounds) and weeklong trip with a rented 22' Airstream (4,500 lbs). Airstream used a wireless brake controller and seemed to tow just fine. No sway issues at freeway speeds and LR4 had plenty of power. :cool:

Can anyone who has added the tow package themselves weigh in on what, if anything the dealer enabled for them and if it made any difference? Anyone know exactly what that adds/changes, if anything?

I am now preparing to replace the LR OEM hitch with the Rhino OX and add a Redarc brake controller. We've purchased a travel trailer and I want to be sure I haven't missed something with regard to safety or activating any of the towing assist functionality.

Finally, I have seen different opinions on weight distribution hitches. Does anyone have *authoritative* information on that?

Thanks all - I'll be sure to post pictures of the Rhino OX and Redarc brake controller installs to provide help to others!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I enabled something with my IID GAP tool and all it gave me was the trailer tracking + different backup camera mode. I have the surround camera system which may be required for the trailer tracking, not sure. I don’t use it though.

dc_v01

Reaction score
There are two sets of settings you can enable with the IID tool. One is for the cameras / guidance as f1racer posted. The other was a more generic "Trailer Towing Fitted" or similar. I don't remember the exact name. One might suppose that this is to enable the Tow Stability feature, or whatever it's called, where the DSC (dynamic stability control) programming is modified to deal with the added load/dynamics of the trailer. That would be an important safety feature. I can't guarantee that effect however, only that there is a setting there to be changed. The single best thing that happened from enabling these features was the parking sensors no longer go off when backing a trailer in reverse. I don't know which setting caused that, since I have the cameras I enabled both at the same time.

MartyG

Reaction score
There is also an icon on the dash which lights up when a turn signal is activated to remind you of a trailer behind you if you're towing.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also an icon on the dash which lights up when a turn signal is activated to remind you of a trailer behind you if you're towing.

This works without anything on IID tool. Won't work with an LED lit trailer (doesn't draw enough power)

Dwelce

Reaction score
With my 2015 LR4, I also purchased the wiring kit for towing which I installed myself. I did have my local indy shop enable the setting for the cameras and towing. I do use the cameras along with the tracking sticker and I especially like the reverse lines when backing up as it will show you the path of both the trailer and the LR4. I believe the tow setting is in the body control module.

I don't have any real world experience with the weight distribution but I am seriously considering it. I would use with either the plow hitch or I'll get the Rhino OX. The reason for this is that when I last weighed at a Cat scale my rear axle weight of the LR4 was at 4,500lbs which is way over the gross axle weight. Depending on how I load my Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE (I also have a lithium battery) my tongue weight is right about 600/650lbs. On the particular trip I weighed it on we had minimal gear in the back of the LR4 and my two young boys in the back seats (3yrs and 6yrs). I was quite surprised by how far over I was.

Maybe the Cat Scale is off. I have a different Cat Scale about 30min from my house so I may spend an afternoon weighing just the LR4 with just me in it and full tank of gas and then also with the trailer. But from what I've read and asked a few hitch shops is that with weight distribution you'll only have about 1/4 of that tongue weight on the hitch and the rest is distributed. So, that might get me back in spec.

However, I wanted to also carry my bikes on the roof of the LR4 so that might then put me over.

TonyInIdaho

Reaction score
I have a Dutchman 30' lite travel trailer. It's weight is around 6500# loaded. I have always pulled it since it was new in 2008 with my Yukon XL with it's factory tow package. The RV dealer installed the brake controller to the factory tow package. They included the weight distribution hitch in the purchase, as it is the only way to reduce tounge weight and keep everything in spec. To achieve the maximum towing capacity on most suvs they are required. I have moved the trailer with a standard ball with no equalizing and even with my autolevel suspension you can tell there is a lot of weight on the tongue.
I plan on towing the trailer with the 2014 LR4 HSE LUX that I recently purchased, after I install trailer brakes. I will use my same hitch setup with the factory tow package. package. I am thinking it should do quite well.
I plan on using my Yukon XL for short trips of under a couple hundred miles. I will use the LR for towing on longer jouneys.
Though, I still have not researched if the LR's factory package adds anything such as transmission and oil coolers or a lower axle ratio and limited slip rear end as my Yukon's tow package did. Perhaps someone can let me know.
Unfortunately, my LR was not originally ordered with the two speed transfer case which would definitely help in some situations.

I will post a picture of the setup after spring thaw allows me to get to the trailer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV