2012 LR4 with front left locking caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobbyD

Reaction score
Could maybe be an adjustment needed in the shifting linkage. Spotted this thread suggesting shifting cable adjustment: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/popping-out-of-drive.27788/

Maybe revive this old thread or start a new one on your shifter issue so it’s easier to find in the future. Any particular conditions cause it to pop out of drive?
Thank you! You beat me to it. I was going to let everyone know, with a new thread. I know slipping out of drive is common.

Last edited:

BobbyD

Reaction score
Could maybe be an adjustment needed in the shifting linkage. Spotted this thread suggesting shifting cable adjustment: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/popping-out-of-drive.27788/

Maybe revive this old thread or start a new one on your shifter issue so it’s easier to find in the future. Any particular conditions cause it to pop out of drive?
Looked at console, although I've been there before, decided to go for shift linkage inspection and adjustment if needed 1st. Its my wife's truck, her 'baby', so I rarely get to drive it. She said it randomly slips from 'D" to neutral anywhere (highway, bumps in the road, etc.) but shift light indicator stays on 'D'. Sometimes dash will read either 'D' or 'N'; completely random. I found that it will stay in Drive (D) if I pull back gear shift and hold it. Although never a fault on dash my Scanner showed transmission, neutral safety switch, and height adjustment. Has to be linkage. It took about 6-7 minutes, PB Buster (or similar) to break rust and debris, 13mm socket, and pull cable (pointed tip) north towards the front. It took a few small adjustments but works like new. I also put this on that previous thread 'popping out of drive'. Hope this helps.

LR4 Linkage.jpg
Don't forget to chock wheels front AND back sides in case you adjust it to neutral...

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a nice scanner that is working overtime on this one. Replaced battery. Nothin', but never hurts to have a new one. I loosened master cyclinder to let pressure off. Didn't do it. Loosened front right (FR) ABS module line to vent. Nothing happened. Full bleed of all four brakes again. *Remember all new brakes lines, up front, both sides all the way up too. Never had any ABS faults (everything else though!!!). Reluctor rings are good. Some of this, probably the root cause, turned out to be wheel speed sensor(s). Likely the right side, as it was pretty dirty and had some rust on face of opaque sensor. Causing the left tire to 'slow down', overheat, seizing calipers. I cleaned both wheel speed sensors. New caliper works perfect. Still chasing lights; suspension, wheel angle, all-terrain mode, ride level. Replaced brake light switch. Getting there. Have been able to clear all codes, DTCs, all lights are off. Drives, climbs, and stops awesome. Now it slips out of (D) drive... Hopefully just potential past liquid spills and crumbs; on it now.
wow thank God i was off about the master cylinder. I enjoy cheap easy fixes to problems with this truck. It just goes to show you, don't get scared if you hear all these expensive repairs others may have done or recommend......although @jlglr4 is pretty damn knowledgeable/reliable. He's helped me out before in the past in many ways. Listen to his inputs.

jgaarder

Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 transmission was slipping out of drive to neutral so reviewed the photo and followed the shift linkage adjustment above. Worked great!

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 transmission was slipping out of drive to neutral so reviewed the photo and followed the shift linkage adjustment above. Worked great!
I seem to have to re-lubricate the linkage on my 2010 every 6 months or so. The shifter becomes progressively harder to shift and finally get the popping out of drive issue. Lubing works wonders

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV