2013 LR4 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tenweight

Reaction score
Im looking for a 2013 LR4 with a V8. I tow a 1600 lb boat trailer a couple of times a week. I have a 11 Tahoe but lifted it 6" and put 35's on it now my wife wont go anywhere with me. You believe that? For some that would be good but not for me.....anyway my midlife crisis has passed and I have been looking for a LR and narrowed it down to this specific configuration and year. I found an immaculate one with 135Kmi. It was a CPO and the second owner looks like he took meticulous care of it. N.S., it looks brand new. He wants $14. Timing chains were done at 100k new control arms, water pump. An aside, the reason I chose the 13 was to avoid the timing chain guide job but it happened there and was taken care of. So as it stands the truck is stated as in good working order. I expect that the air suspension will go out right after I buy it ($5K repair?)

But the question is at 135Kmi should I pay $28K for a different one with 80Kmi? Does it pay me to spend the difference right off the bat for less miles when I'm most likely going to have to pay for the work that was already done to the high miler? If I buy the high miler one and drive it to 250Kmi will I end up doing these jobs twice? What work do you guys think I will be looking at post 135?

OH and is it hard getting parts for these at all? I imagine not but throwing this out there since LR is almost new to me. Thanks in advance!

fireangel1313

Reaction score
I bought my 13' a few years ago and love it! It had a little over 90k on it and now has 136k. I bought it bc it shouldn't have the timing chain issues, "updated" console, and V8. It wasn't worth it to me to pay 5k more for a 14' turbo V6 that gets 1mpg better and less torque. I pull a 5000 pound boat and it pulls it like it's not there! The turning radius is the only thing you'll really have to get used to and I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I've almost turned sharper than I should when pulling the boat! It is so good it catches you off guard. Your wife will love the way the LR4 rides and probably want one for herself.
As far as parts, they are all out there. I've replaced cross over piping, pump, belts, cooling fan bc it was ticking (and still does) @ 120k, wheel bearings at 105k (they were a little wiggly and took no time at all). I haven't felt the need to do anything with the tranny, diffs, brake fluid, steering fluid, and my air suspension works great! I shortened the suspension rods myself (there is a youtube video on it) and gave it a little raise, but then an alignment will need to be done. I'm sure you are familiar with all that since you had a lifted truck. Oh, and the suspension on the LR4 isn't like those in other SUVs. I had a Nissan Armada and the air suspension was CRAP! Same with GM, Ford, etc. but not Land Rover. The air suspension components are made a last longer and ARE the shock absorbers and leveling on all four wheels. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how it rides even when pulling a trailer. Been off roading quite a bit too and it is bad ass!
Parts are all out there. If you like to do maintenance yourself you can do most anything on it. It's not THAT much more complicated than any other car out there. This forum is great and I rely on it to help me with any problems I have, and of course youtube.
When mentioning the water pump did they mention the cross over tubing? If so great, if not you can do it yourself and I would do it as soon as possible just be safe. Parts are only a few hundred, especially since the water pump has already been replaced.
The really only frustrating part is finding new wheels and tires. When going to 18" wheels there are really only a few good options but that's okay, they are nice options. Good luck!

ccwilmo

Reaction score
I have a lower mileage (90Kmi) 2012 LR4 V8 HSE in white with tan leather interior that runs beautifully with all new tires and only serviced at Land Rover dealers. It's all stock with the tow hitch receiver and all weather floor mats. Everything works great. I am looking to sell to get an electric vehicle my wife wants. I'm looking for around $18k. Let me know if this would be of interest or need any additional info. Thanks.

IMG_7424@0.5x.jpg

IMG_7425@0.5x.jpg

RandyLove

Reaction score
I purchased a '13 LR4 with 86k miles on it at the time, and have driven it to 116+K miles as of today. I off-road it a bit and absolutely love the vehicle. I've done a few things like adding the winch to the Tactical 4x4 front bumper the previous owner had installed. I've also had the transmission pan and filter replaced with the Atlantic British after-market unit. The differential fluids are already delivered from AB and will be changed out soon too. Aside from replacing the rear lower gate actuator, it's been reliable. I hope I'm not jinxing it :). Best of luck!
2021-11-21 12_56_49-Arizona LR4 E_02 - YouTube — Mozilla Firefox.png

tenweight

Reaction score

ccwilmo I really had my heart set on a 2013 because of the timing chain fix applied to the 13's. Have you had your timing chain job yet? Nice clean truck though.​

puckball55

Reaction score
I bought my 13' a few years ago and love it! It had a little over 90k on it and now has 136k. I bought it bc it shouldn't have the timing chain issues, "updated" console, and V8. It wasn't worth it to me to pay 5k more for a 14' turbo V6 that gets 1mpg better and less torque. I pull a 5000 pound boat and it pulls it like it's not there! The turning radius is the only thing you'll really have to get used to and I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I've almost turned sharper than I should when pulling the boat! It is so good it catches you off guard. Your wife will love the way the LR4 rides and probably want one for herself.
As far as parts, they are all out there. I've replaced cross over piping, pump, belts, cooling fan bc it was ticking (and still does) @ 120k, wheel bearings at 105k (they were a little wiggly and took no time at all). I haven't felt the need to do anything with the tranny, diffs, brake fluid, steering fluid, and my air suspension works great! I shortened the suspension rods myself (there is a youtube video on it) and gave it a little raise, but then an alignment will need to be done. I'm sure you are familiar with all that since you had a lifted truck. Oh, and the suspension on the LR4 isn't like those in other SUVs. I had a Nissan Armada and the air suspension was CRAP! Same with GM, Ford, etc. but not Land Rover. The air suspension components are made a last longer and ARE the shock absorbers and leveling on all four wheels. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how it rides even when pulling a trailer. Been off roading quite a bit too and it is bad ass!
Parts are all out there. If you like to do maintenance yourself you can do most anything on it. It's not THAT much more complicated than any other car out there. This forum is great and I rely on it to help me with any problems I have, and of course youtube.
When mentioning the water pump did they mention the cross over tubing? If so great, if not you can do it yourself and I would do it as soon as possible just be safe. Parts are only a few hundred, especially since the water pump has already been replaced.
The really only frustrating part is finding new wheels and tires. When going to 18" wheels there are really only a few good options but that's okay, they are nice options. Good luck!
ihave a 2013 i bought 6 years ago with 39000 miles , i now have 96,000. great truck ive driven it all over the southern states with zero issues. i just recently had to replace valve cover gaskets, maf sensers and fuel pressure sensers. i have put brake pads on a few times and ive found bridgestone duelers to be perfect tires for this truck especially on florida roads. the new orleans potholes were no match for this beast and it still rides like new. thought about getting new defender but i love my v8

stevevetter

Reaction score
TLDR version:

- LR3 or LR4 for inexpensive tow, snow and people mover?
- Is it scary to buy 2010 or so LR4 with 180k miles (I've been starting to make a list of 'things it needs done' like timing chain, lower control arms, fuel pumps, etc). Basically the new engine is compelling but the LR3 4.4 is tried & true. Is the new JLR 5.0 V8 established at being good for many miles?

Bump, and adding questions of my own.

I currently have a 2005 LR3 HSE with the 4.4 BMW engine. Bought it 8 years ago with 80k mi and now has 102k miles. My maintenance of this vehicle could be best described as sadistic. I bought it purely for utility to tow my car trailer and something my wife would accept. The cowling seal dry-rotted and it got half flooded so all the non essential electronics work when they want to randomly however it is perfectly utilitarian and I know that particular engine will be fine for many many miles to come.

Now I'm taken a couple years off of racing so I'm starting to have some fun with this off road. Prior to this I didn't want to break my only tow vehicle but now ..... **** it let's get muddy.

So it brings me to a similar question as the OP. I do need a replacement while I turn my current one becomes an off-road only toy (wife won't drive it due to me beating it up). I want something inexpensive as this is a stop-gap truck for me for some years until I buy my last 'forever truck' (hopefully). So I'm looking at LR3's and LR4's . The step up in luxury features and towing aids (cameras, stability assist, etc.) are really compelling in the LR4 but from general reading (not here but just around) there seems to be way more confidence in some major elements of the LR3.

So kind of like my original TLDR. I've come across some high mile early model year LR4's for low $ ($11k for what looks clean in pics HSE with 180k). Is that sketchy? Should I pay a bit more for lower miles or at above a certain point does it really not matter and is more in the hands of whether they maintained it well and just dumb luck?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is a step up in terms of on road driving dynamics and the extra power is noticeable. That being said the 5.0 takes a little more TLC. BTW your 4.4L in the LR4 is a Jag AJ engine as well (stroked 4.0L). No BMW DNA in that one.

stevevetter

Reaction score
The LR4 is a step up in terms of on road driving dynamics and the extra power is noticeable. That being said the 5.0 takes a little more TLC. BTW your 4.4L in the LR4 is a Jag AJ engine as well (stroked 4.0L). No BMW DNA in that one.

Thanks for that. This is largely consistent with what I've read w/regards to performance. My concern was it being a new design, are the early years known for grenading themselves at higher miles? I've already read some concerning things about the timing chain tensioner and it being rather pricey to do if it hasn't been done.

Also, I'm pretty sure one of the LR3 V8 engines is BMW in origin. If not the 4.4, which one (I have some BMW expert friends who can talk me all around potential issues or goodness on everything they've ever made).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count of doing the timing chain and tensioners at some point on the LR4.

In North America the only engines offered in the LR3 was the 4.0L Ford sourced V6 (same as Explorer) and the Jag 4.4L V8. The only BMW engine was in earlier Range Rovers.

This was a good article summing up the changes for the LR4. I like both models. The LR3 has a certain rugged simple charm

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA