2014 LR4 Test Drive Review - LR4 1st Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use ice brand wax on the black trim works great
Is this the Turtle Wax? There are a few different kinds, what do you recommend?

I am always looking for hints on keeping the black door trim fingerprint/oil smudge free. Thanks!

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the Turtle Wax? There are a few different kinds, what do you recommend?

I am always looking for hints on keeping the black door trim fingerprint/oil smudge free. Thanks!

yea think it is a turtle wax product , just get there paste style ice wax and use like you would any wax on the car as well as all the black trim,does wonders for the trim mine is a silver/blue color container i think, it won't leave the trim cream color like most waxes

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof Rack Details

After looking at a lot of pictures and some threads on roof racks can someone enlighten me to a few things? The vehicle I test drove didn't have any rack rails.

1) Long Rack or Short Rack? Whats the advantages? I know if I order the Black Package it says it comes with black extended rails.

2) Most of you seem to have roof racks vs bars. How easily interchangeable would these be? Or once you have something up there you never take it off?

Thanks

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at a lot of pictures and some threads on roof racks can someone enlighten me to a few things? The vehicle I test drove didn't have any rack rails.

1) Long Rack or Short Rack? Whats the advantages? I know if I order the Black Package it says it comes with black extended rails.

2) Most of you seem to have roof racks vs bars. How easily interchangeable would these be? Or once you have something up there you never take it off?

Thanks

Each is a little different, but most of the big heavy duty racks just bolt to the roof directly without the need for the expensive factory rails.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each is a little different, but most of the big heavy duty racks just bolt to the roof directly without the need for the expensive factory rails.

I was about to ask a related question so let me jump in here. BMW, you reference big heavy racks. How much will the stock racks carry and, to epiclr's question, can I relatively easily remove things such as the Expedition carrier or whatever they call it. I expect that in the Summer I'll make considerable use of a rack and various carriers on top. But in the Winter I would like to take it off and have must the rails. I would also be interested in doing that with a ladder on the back if that is possible and makes sense. I guess I'm looking for a degree of cinfigurability depending on season and use case. And I like the "alpine roofs" so I wouldn't want to cover them if not necessary.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to ask a related question so let me jump in here. BMW, you reference big heavy racks. How much will the stock racks carry and, to epiclr's question, can I relatively easily remove things such as the Expedition carrier or whatever they call it. I expect that in the Summer I'll make considerable use of a rack and various carriers on top. But in the Winter I would like to take it off and have must the rails. I would also be interested in doing that with a ladder on the back if that is possible and makes sense. I guess I'm looking for a degree of cinfigurability depending on season and use case. And I like the "alpine roofs" so I wouldn't want to cover them if not necessary.
I have some experience with racks that I can share. On my 2011, I had a Voyager rack and I really liked it. It bolted directly to the roof and did not need any rails (short or full length). I used the Voyager rack quite a bit and put two large (heavy) Pelican boxes and sometimes a spare tire up there, and I'd say it must have been a few hundred pounds. I did stop putting my spare tire up there though because I noticed the bars would dip a bit too far down close to the glass. I never actually weighed how much I had on it, but each Pelican box had to be about 75 lbs?

On my 2013, I have a full rack from Urban Offroad and it bolds either to the half rails or the full-length roof rails. Since I have the black design package, my truck came with the full-length roof rails. The Urban Offroad rack is extremely well made, and it was relatively local to me so I did not have to pay freight shipping and he installed it for free. There are some design features I liked better on the Voyager and some things I like better on my Urban Offroad rack. I think my Urban Offroad rack holds the load better, as I have the same Pelican boxes up there, along with a Hi Lift Jack, and with my spare tire a few times the bars do not bend down toward the glass in the middle nearly as much as they did on the Voyager rack. Just some food for thought.

Either way, both are great choices. They have a few more racks available, such as the Frontrunner and the Baja Rack. I really like the Baja Rack, it looks great and seems very functional - you do need the half rails though for installation. I've seen a few in person on some rigs in my Land Rover group. As for other racks, I know they have a few options, but I really like Voyager, Urban Offroad, and Baja - though I have only had experience with the two former. I will tell you, that I probably over maximize the use of my rack and it does seem to hold up well, with the caveats that I mentioned earlier.

As far as removing the reack, it is possible, but I would not recommend it on a regular basis. The racks are not difficult to install, but you want to be VERY careful that you do not crack the glass - it has happened to a few people. Maybe some other folks do remove their rack off and on depending on their needs and season, but I don't think I would go in that direction - it's a permanent fixture on my truck.

I hope that helps!

Regards, David

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some experience with racks that I can share. On my 2011, I had a Voyager rack and I really liked it. It bolted directly to the roof and did not need any rails (short or full length). I used the Voyager rack quite a bit and put two large (heavy) Pelican boxes and sometimes a spare tire up there, and I'd say it must have been a few hundred pounds. I did stop putting my spare tire up there though because I noticed the bars would dip a bit too far down close to the glass. I never actually weighed how much I had on it, but each Pelican box had to be about 75 lbs?

On my 2013, I have a full rack from Urban Offroad and it bolds either to the half rails or the full-length roof rails. Since I have the black design package, my truck came with the full-length roof rails. The Urban Offroad rack is extremely well made, and it was relatively local to me so I did not have to pay freight shipping and he installed it for free. There are some design features I liked better on the Voyager and some things I like better on my Urban Offroad rack. I think my Urban Offroad rack holds the load better, as I have the same Pelican boxes up there, along with a Hi Lift Jack, and with my spare tire a few times the bars do not bend down toward the glass in the middle nearly as much as they did on the Voyager rack. Just some food for thought.

Either way, both are great choices. They have a few more racks available, such as the Frontrunner and the Baja Rack. I really like the Baja Rack, it looks great and seems very functional - you do need the half rails though for installation. I've seen a few in person on some rigs in my Land Rover group. As for other racks, I know they have a few options, but I really like Voyager, Urban Offroad, and Baja - though I have only had experience with the two former. I will tell you, that I probably over maximize the use of my rack and it does seem to hold up well, with the caveats that I mentioned earlier.

As far as removing the reack, it is possible, but I would not recommend it on a regular basis. The racks are not difficult to install, but you want to be VERY careful that you do not crack the glass - it has happened to a few people. Maybe some other folks do remove their rack off and on depending on their needs and season, but I don't think I would go in that direction - it's a permanent fixture on my truck.

I hope that helps!

Regards, David

Thanks David for the clarity and what the heck do you have in those pelican cases?!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting that you had your voyager bend. I can stand on mine and it barely dips at all. (and im a big guy). Still have at least a half inch of space between the glass and rack at the closest point.

Here is photo from the voyager site that says something...

LR3_Cont_Stand_on_top.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting that you had your voyager bend. I can stand on mine and it barely dips at all. (and im a big guy). Still have at least a half inch of space between the glass and rack at the closest point.

Here is photo from the voyager site that says something...

LR3_Cont_Stand_on_top.jpg
Oh, The Voyager rack DEFINITELY holds a lot of weight - I think I just had too much on it and it was not an even distribution of weight. I was probably maxing out the weight.

You can't go wrong with the Voyager rack.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks David for the clarity and what the heck do you have in those pelican cases?!
Lots and lots of stuff. :)

Off roading and expedition supplies, medical supplies, camping equipment, food rations, etc. All crazy prepping stuff - haha.

We tend to stockpile lots of supplies and it spilled over to my truck - though nothing compared to back in UT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72